We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
168 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

hi, i'd like to do a walking with lions excursion, but will be staying in livingstone. it seems that it originated in victoria falls but now there is an operation on the livingstone side as well, is there any difference? it would be easier for us to do from the zambian side but if the experience is much better in zimbabwe i'd go there instead. any help would be greatly appreciated, there are a lot of reviews but none of them specify what side they were on :)

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,977 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

Just in case you are not aware of the controversy surrounding these operations-

http://keeplionswild.webs.com/index.htm

Personally, I wouldn't go near either of them.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,213 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

Stokeygirl

yes yes, a con of ever there was one

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
920 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

You might look into tracking game in Hwange National Park., south of Vic Falls. I do not know if they still allow this, but a few years ago we tracked game on foot of course and had several close encounters with lions in dense foliage. Scared the living hoo hoo out of me. Saw lots of game close up, stayed in tents.

Don't recall name of guide etc. Nothing fake or contrived about it.

This may be a thing of the past however, outfitters in Vic can tell you on line. I am sure some of the Hwange lodges can answer this.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
440 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

Interesting... thanks (again) for the info Stokegirl... I'll scrub that one off my list then.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,174 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

Thank you.

Should this be a sticky?

Edited: 2:12 pm, February 15, 2012
Greytown, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

Please note - the website KeepLionsWild is both out of date and was full of inaccuracies when published.

If you plan to walk with a guide make sure they are really experienced. And them obey them implicitly - it could save your life.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

Stokeygirl et al all make good points.

How can you release a Lion into the wild that has no fear of humans ? Or Lions that have never learnt to hunt properly.

The other factor is that many of the Lions with which you walk are males ie the most sought after for hunting (canned or otherwise).

Would really suggest that you didn't try that experience.

8. Re: Walking with lions, victoria falls vs livingstone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:40 pm, June 21, 2013