We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Matters

Tn.
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Money Matters

What is the best way to pay for food, shopping and tours? Are credit cards accepted and safe to use or do I need US$ for most things? We will be staying at the Royal Livingston so I assume we will be eating mostly there and buying tours there.

Can little craft items be bought for a couple dollars?

Thanks

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,915 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Matters

Use small $$bills. You could try your CC at the Royal for one large transaction to settle your account.

I would not risk it if eating out etc.,

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,630 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Matters

We were stayed at the cheaper sister hotel down the river from you "the Zambezi Sun" (2006) and found that we could charge everything to our room when eating and drinking and booking trips at either hotel. (The food was much better at your hotel!). We then settled everything by credit card (it may be worth having more than card in case one is declined!).

Tipping isn't encouraged in Zambia, but you will probably find a service charge on your bill. If you are venturing into villages I would change a small amount of local currency otherwise I suspect the curio stalls by the Falls are happy to deal in dollars or Rand.

NB do have a sundowner by the river at your hotel; but watch out for those crafty monkeys!

Enjoy your trip.

ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Matters

U.S. Dollars are very acceptable in Zambia but you will get better value at the markets if you use Kwacha(think thats the spelling can't remember for sure). Don't forget to bargain and don't be afraid to walk away you'll get serious value and they enjoy it! I was there on missionary work so i stayed in a hostel which was fine and we ate out in Livingstone. I think one place was called the Livingstone bar and Grill it was fine back then (2004). The Chobe Safari cost me $85 all inclusive for one day make sure the hotel don't charge you a huge commision because as far as I know all the tours are the same. We were picked up from our hostel and then picked up people in the Royal Livingstone and Zambeizi sun. Do the white water rafting if you can but be warned you need nerves of steel! Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Livingstone
Livingstone
Southern Province, Zambia
Tn.
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Matters

Thanks for the help. I have read that I must use new money with the large profiles. Is this really true? If someone could give examples of what they bought and the cost I would really appreciate it.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,915 posts
408 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Matters

US notes post 2002 with the large head only these days. and NO torn, crumpled or scribbled ones either. They will just hand them back.

Use Kwachwa for local purchases outside your lodge.

Tn.
Level Contributor
190 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Matters

I have read the vendors at the markets like to trade for clothing or stationary items. Is that true? Should I take some of these type items?

7. Re: Money Matters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, October 13, 2009