We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Enfield
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Hi All,

My Wife and I are travelling to Livingstone in December this year and although we have a idea of what we want to do, we would like to know what you would suggest as the top 5 activites/sites are.

Enfield
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Thanks to all the contributors on this post.

Having now returned from Livingstone, I feel I can now comment.

The Wife and I took part in the following amongst others, that we would say are musts:

1. Sunset River Safari - Better than just a plain Booze Cruise, because althought the bar is open from the time you step onto the boat, the boat is smaller and you have the benifit of going looking for Hippo, Croc, Elephant etc and not just crusing up the wider parts of the river.

2. Flight of the Angles - A helicopter flight is a must for anyone so that you can realy appricate the full view of the falls.

3. Elephant Safari - A experience that will never leave you. I will and have already directed and recomended people to do this. Even after all my research, I still arrived a little wary, but after long chats with the handlers and interaction with the Elephants themselves, and also assesing the place itself, I left very happy with the whole set up.

If you do this, try to ride Bop, but be aware that you have to mount him when he kneels down and its still a long way up.

4. High Tea on Livingstone Island - A breath taking view of the falls from atop of them and then the swim out to the Devils Armchair. The most amazing experience to swim in a pool on the edge of the falls and then slide the top half of your head and chest out over the edge and look down.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback - we are going to Livingstone in May and have many of these activities booked - i cant wait!!

We are booked on the African Queen sunset cruise - is this the same one you went on?

We have also booked the Elephant Safari, Lion Encounter, Helicopter Ride and Tour of the Falls. I would have loved to go out to Livingstone Island but I beleive May is not a good time as the water levels are too high.

Just wondering - did you visit the Livingstone markets? Did you eat at any restaurants outside of your hotel? Did you catch any taxi's? Did you feel safe?

Any tips/info you can give me would be great :)

Thanks,

Soraya

Enfield
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Hi Soraya,

With regards to the African Queen, we actually did the River Safari which is on a smaller boat (14 people) that can get closer to the banks of the river and islands.

As you say you will not get to Livingstone Island, because of the water level, however the water level will make the falls look even better.

We did go into the markets and it is very interesting.

We did eat out a couple of nights and travelled by Taxi and then asked the restaurant to call a Taxi to go back. Taxi’s in town cost 10,000 Kwatcher each way, but from Falls hotels it will be 25,000 Kwatcher each way. We went to Ocean Basket (a seafood chain) which was superb and Fez’s (a local pub, bar) which was very good. We actually stayed at back packers, but I do understand from various people that I talked to that the price difference between the Zambezi Sun & Royal Livingstone Hotels and the local bars/restaurants is stark. As for feeling safe, at night, as long as you don’t go alone, 2 is okay, 4 is best and you are aware of were you are going (stick to the main street), you should be fine. During the day, just be remember that there are a lot of hawkers.

Major tip if you are flying to Livingstone from South Africa, is to split your packing between bags, half of your stuff in one bag and half your partners in the other and visa versa, some bags don’t make it for 24 hours or more and it is a fairly common occurrence. Do the same with meds and anything else you may need that you can not take on as hand luggage.

Most of all – Enjoy!

Cheers

Spanner

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Hi Spanner,

Thanks for the info - especially regarding the luggage! We are flying from J'burg to Livingstone so I will be sure to split our clothes up :)

We are staying at a lodge in Livingstone called Limbo Lodge - it was so much cheaper than Zambezi Sun and Royal Livingstone and we figured we were only going to use it to sleep in anyway - so we will venture out and try some of the restaurants & bars.

Is the market easy to get to? Can you barter with them?

Did you need to agree on the taxi price before you travelled or do they have a pretty standard price?

Sorry if my questions seem silly but I have only ever been to Bali and that was with my parents about 10 years ago!..so this is going to be a huge experience for us!

Thanks,

Soraya

:)

Enfield
Level Contributor
23 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Hi Soraya,

Battering in Markets is a way of life in Africa and enjoyable.

With Taxi’s you must confirm the price before you get in, otherwise they will try to add 5000 plus to what the fare should be. As a guide:

Airport to Livingstone 25,000

Around Livingstone 10,000

Livingstone to the Falls 25,000

You are right to stay away from the major hotels, there prices are stupid and as you say you are only sleeping there. We stayed at Jollyboys Backpackers in a private room with own shower and toilet. Spot on!

Suggest you purchase the Bradt Guide to Zambia, a excellent book with lots of tips and advise.

Re the flying, be aware J’Burg airport is a pigs ear. Be prepared to queue and queue, but listen out for the few staff who will call out for certain flights and feed you through the queue just in time.

Just remember its Africa and have some patience and a bottle of water.

Enjoy

Spanner

West Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Soraya,

Yes you can haggle in the markets, as Zambians love to haggle, but watch out, these guys are quite good at it. Don’t let that put you off though, because if you haggle in a good natured way, they will play the haggling game, but you will generally come away with what you want at a price that you are comfortable with.

Tip#1: Don’t let them think that you are English or American or the price will almost certainly shoot up. If you can’t pretend to be South African (and they can tell if you are not), say you are a cheap Aussie, or better still an even cheaper Kiwi! :)

Tip#2: The prices at the markets at the falls start about 100% higher than the other markets in and around Livingstone.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Hi nkalamo,

Thanks for your tips - I loved the tip about being a cheap aussie! haha - Lucky I am aussie so I can try this out! LOL!

Im really looking forward to seeing the markets - I must admit, I do LOVE to shop!

Thanks again :)

West Australia
Level Contributor
453 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Any time :)

PS if you have any other questions about Zambia generally, just ask. I may not necessarily know the answer, but I'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

Canberra
5 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

Hi. I am travelling to Livingston with my husband and kids aged 6 and 8. Just wondering which activities cater for these ages. Both kids are very active and fit

Mfuwe
Level Contributor
944 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Top 5 Activities/Sites in Livinstone Area

A week is quite a while in Livingstone. Here are some other things to do while there:

Livingstone Museum

Established in 1934, the Livingstone Museum is the largest of four national museums in Zambia. It is a multidisciplinary museum, having collections and exhibitions in Archaeology, Ethnography, History, and various branches of Natural History, including Mammalogy, Ornithology, Entomology, Ichthyology, Herpetology and Botany. It holds a vast archaeological collection among which is evidence from the biggest trade market in central Africa and mine findings of the Broken Hill Man, it also holds the main reference collection of the biodiversity of Zambia as well as a rich ethnographic collection dating back to the early 20th century. Furthermore, the Museum holds a vast collection of David Livingstone memorabilia, and has one of the oldest libraries in the country. Open everyday except Christmas and New Years. Entry fees non-residents- $5 children $2

Bushtracks Africa has this:

Tiger Moth flights

Zambezi Jet Boating

Victoria Falls Microlighting

Stop by the Livingstone Royal Golf and County Club www.livingstonegolf.com/

Take the Royal Livingstone Express

'Dinner excursion' Steam train- Four course dinner and excellent wines provided by Sun International's Royal Livingstone restaurant

If you there during the full moon, day before or day after: The Lunar rainbow( moon bows) 19 hours and midnight- the views from the Victoria Falls

are phenomenal. Arrangements made through the National Heritage and Conservation Commission office Livingstone. or you can do it on your own.

moonphases.info/full_moon_calendar_dates.htm…

For the regular tour- not as good as with the museum- in Livingstone or VF at 6:30PM. In the flood season it costs only R12 more than your day fee to see the moon rainbows from the Zambian side. On the Zimbabwe side you have to pay to get into the park again, even if you were there earlier in the day, and it costs R180