We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Phan Thiet

Which Phan Thiet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wodonga, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Phan Thiet

We will be in HoiAn and will travel onto HCMC. We would like to spend a couple of days in Phan Thiet for 3 adults and one child.

We would appreciate any suggestions on getting to Phan Thiet. Sould we travel from Hoi An or first go to HCMC and then on the PT. To me this seems to be back tracking but I cannot see any other way.

Can you fly from Danang to Phan Thiet.

Suggestions on travel means and aprox cost appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

Paul - it's a long journey by road from Hoi An, around 700km. The most comfortable way is by train from Danang, which would take pretty much most of the day. Alternatively you could break up your journey by stopping overnight in Nha Trang.

Currently there is no airport at Phan Thiet though one is planned.

amsterdam
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

My suggestion is to fly from Dannang to Hochiminh then hire a car to Phan thiet or take the public bus.

But I would suggest another beach place called Kega (near Phan Thiet)in Hamtan town which is extremly beautiful and not touristic at all,and the distance is abit closer.

good luck

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

I would fly from Danang to Nha Trang (500km) then drive the other 200km from Nha Trang Southwards, about half way between Nha Trang and Saigon.

Mui Ne
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

Paulscan,

Cyberspace's suggestion is the best, as the road from Nha Trang to Phan Thiet is a more pleasant drive than the road from Ho Chi Minh and you wouldn't have to feel like you're backtracking.

There are a number of bus companies that offer service between Nha Trang and Phan Thiet for about VND 70,000 (US $4.50). The best are Sinh Cafe, Phuong Trang and Tam Hanh. All have various departure times and the trip is almost always four hours. (Whereaas the trip from Saigon can be as much as five or six hours if the traffic around the city is bad)

Steve

5. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 am, July 22, 2009
nha trang
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

Hi Paul,

my idea is fly to Cam Ranh (south of nha trang) air port then transfer to Mui Ne by car, you can book a mini van from Cam Ranh air Port to Mui Ne cost about 120 USD. it takes 4 hours drive.

Andy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

Paul,

The suggestion to fly to Nha Trang and then travel from there is best.

We flew from Danang to HCMC, then drove to Mui Ne. Not only did it feel like we were backtracking, but the drive was not pretty or pleasant and it took about 5 hours b/c of the Saigon traffic. We would have flown to Nha Trang but the flights were booked.

That said, if I was you I would seriously consider skipping Mui Ne and head to Phu Quoc island, south of Saigon. This was heaven, and it's probably easier to travel to as well. You can jump on a flight from HCMC - about 50 mins, and the island is simply breathtaking, and much prettier than Mui Ne.

Mui Ne
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

Mipkate,

I would guess from your posting that you have never hiked to the top of the red sand dunes at sunset, or watched the sun setting into the ocean with a glass of wine at Java/Baywatch with the panorama of the quaint fishing town of Mui Ne with it's hundreds of fishing boats in the foreground, or seen the views of Mui Ne Bay from each of Sea Links 18 holes, or biked along the magnificent coastline around Ke Ga, or caught the stark contrast of the white sand dunes, the deep blue lake and the dark green lotus, or taken the aerial tramway up to the reclining Buddha at Taku Mountain.

Those who spend their entire stay in the tourist strip at Ham Tien might feel just as you do, that it would be better to skip Phan Thiet. However, those who get away from the tourist strip will tell you that Phan Thiet is a must see.

Steve

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

Steve,

While it may not have been at sunset - we in fact did all that.

And, as I said before - skip it!

Cheers.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel to Phan Thiet

I have to agree with MipKate - we spent 4 weeks travelling Vietnam and Pha Thiet/Mui Ne was our least favourite place. Entirely subjective I know, but I wouldn't recommend it.