We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HCMC - Phan Thiet Rail Service.

Which Phan Thiet hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
BMT, Central...
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
Save Topic
HCMC - Phan Thiet Rail Service.

Checking out transportation to the Phan Thiet / Mui Ne area from HCMC included the new rail 'service' to Phan Thiet.

The schedule is daily. Train SPST1 - Phan Thiet 14.00H >> HCMC 18.42H; train SPST2 - HCMC 06.50H >> Phan Thiet 11.20H; train SPST SPST3 - Phan Thiet 23.20H >> HCMC 04.56H. The cost is VND56,000. Seats are reserved, water is provided free and a trolley refreshment service is available. Seat spacing is an adequate 34 inches and the seats recline as much as an economy air seat does.

If you have a two-wheeled moto there is a freight car attached - for a fee - dependent on engine size. If you have large / excessive baggage (only a slim over head rack or under your feet is provided) you can NOT put it in the cavernous freight car! If you travel heavy, as this writer does, consider buying another seat (good for 3-4 backpacks).

If you see pictures of the train sets don't believe them. These units are well-worn double-decker units that have seen lots of service elsewhere. At least the air con works well. It is hard to believe the PT station is newly constructed - it looks as run down as SaiGon Station. It is just north of the River Cat Thi - about 400 metres from the Phan Thiet market square. GPS: 10N55.19 // 108E06.09.

Remember, Duong Sat (Road of Steel) is strictly on time - no late departures here.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: HCMC - Phan Thiet Rail Service.

Hi S-N,

The idea of buying an extra seat is a good one ( for baggage)----I have not had to do in VN, but I do a lot of bus travel in Malaysia ( where the buses in provincial areas are low standard and poorly driven---Superhighway buses superb)---I always buy an extra seat----this allows me to keep an eye on things and the cost is minimal!

plover

Hong Kong
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HCMC - Phan Thiet Rail Service.

Hi I am going to Phan Thiet this April. I love train trips, but the schedule does not work with me. Someone suggested private car hire from Ho Chi Minh, since the road from HCM to PT is rough. Any recommendation?

Hyunjoo

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
3,292 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: HCMC - Phan Thiet Rail Service.

Hyunjoo,

It can be done by car or bus ---rough figures $10 by bus----HCMC to Phan Thiet / Mui Ne--Allow $80 USD for a quality 4 seater car ---one way!---hotel can hire for you!----pity about your schedule ---the train trip is good!---4-5 hours!

plover

victoria,bc canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: HCMC - Phan Thiet Rail Service.

Fil & Chad et al

Sorry for being so slack about an after action report-

We've been distracted with personal administrivia....& I've only had a couple of quick looks at this forum since we got back to Canada last week.

re this train:

guess we got lucky, we were able to use an empty seat for bagswhen we used this service to & from Phan Thiet in Feb.

It was an OK experience but I'd use an open tour bus (Sinhcafe based on a Hoi An - Hue-Hoi An trip). It's cheaper , faster and just as comfortable.

Cheaper? Yes- the bus (US$5) leaves from Sinhcafe's office in the heart of Saigon's backpacker hotel district & delivers you directly to Mui Ne. You avoid taxi -& time- getting to the train station in Saigon & from Phan Thiet to Miu Ne. Total savings near 100K VND

More to follow on other stuff -elsewhere

Vancouver
Level Contributor
152 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HCMC - Phan Thiet Rail Service.

We took a big tourist bus from Saigon to Mui Ne and it was toally OK. Kind of a long ride in an old bus but not bad, lots of other toursits to talk to.

We took a mini bus from Mui Ne to Saigon on the way back. Cheap price from from the Blue Ocean I think. The problem was we had a daredevil driver and the trip was extremely scary. This guy almost got us killed several times and we were all petrified!! No seat belts & I sat in the middle of the second row of seats so quess who would be projected out the windsheild if we did actually have an accident.

MY suggestion, don't go for the minibuses. Use the big tourist buses instead- a safer option for sure!

6. Re: HCMC - Phan Thiet Rail Service.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:51 am, December 06, 2008
7. Re: HCMC - Phan Thiet Rail Service.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 12, 2009