We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hue or Hoi An?

Which Da Nang hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hue or Hoi An?

Hi, I'm planning a six-day trip to Da Nang/Hue/Hoi An. My initial itinerary is to spend 2 days in Da Nang, and 4 days in Hoi An. However, it seems that Hoi An and Hue are much attractive places than Da Nang. I like historical and cultural-rich places, not really a buff for museums and mountains so other than Da Nang beach, I will be skipping the other attractions in Da Nang.

So can anyone advise how I can split up my days so that I can have time for Hue and Hoi An, and maybe spend just 1 day in Da Nang (I'm flying in and out of Da Nang)? Or are 6 days too rush for so many places, that it can only be Da Nang and Hoi An, or Da Nang and Hue (bearing in mind that Hoi An and Hue are at opposite directions and Hue is much farther)?

Appreciate very much for any advice ....

Moscow
Level Contributor
843 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

I suggest 2 days in Hue and 4 days in Hoi An. If you take a trip to the DMZ (this takes a full day) you may want to add another day to the Hue part of your trip. I cannot see any reason to spend time in Da Nang - however, if you do want to see Da Nang you can always take a side excursion for the day from Hoi An.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

Thank you, Riko09 ...

1) Are there more things to see/do in Hoi An than Hue, such as markets, architectural and historical/cultural landmarks?

2) Is there direct transport from Hue to Hoi An? If this is an option, is it much more expensive than taking the train from Hue to Da Nang and then a taxi to Hoi An?

3) How long is the train ride from Hue to Da Nang?

Thanks again ...

Toronto
Level Contributor
9 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

We are asking the same question! Hopefully, others will give their unbiased opinions with reasons. Looking forward to any responses you get. When are you planning this for?

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,713 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

Tissuepaper and nanoo (nice names!), the same question has been asked oodles of times over the years on this forum, eliciting the same (mostly) unbiased replies.

If you type "Hue or Hoi An" in the search box in the top right-hand corner of this page you will find loads of advice, in addition to whatever is posted here.

For me it will always be Hue for its culture and the fact that it has retained its integrity and character, with almost no concessions to mass tourism, but for others Hoi An wins hands down for the opposite reasons.

It really depends on what you personally are looking for. You have enough time for both so I would suggest you split your days between the two and leave Danang for another occasion when you feel like flopping on the beach in a resort.

I should add that from late September typhoons are not uncommon in central Vietnam, and torrential rainfall and flooding are possible from then until December-ish, so do bear that in mind.

Edited: 6:20 pm, September 25, 2013
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

There's enough information online for everyone to make up their own mind. My preference is Huê. For its culture, burial sites and lack of tailors.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

3 days in Da Nang, 3 days in Hue. Do a day trip to Hoi An.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
65 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

Haha, yes, I just realised after posting my queries that there's a forum for Hoi An and Hue with travellers asking the same questions. Nonetheless thank you for all your inputs, really helpful :)

nanootoronto, I will be travelling on last week of December, so hopefully typhoons will not be a problem. Happy travels to you!

8. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:51 am, June 05, 2014
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

When you choose the travel destination, it depends on your hobby and your interest. If you are interested in history, culture, you should spend less time in Danang (if you have enough time). Danang is attractive by beautiful beaches, fresh seafood. :) Take time to visit Hue and Hoi An with ancient architect.

Culcairn, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hue or Hoi An?

I really like CreakingBones's reply to this question, it states the obvious about the Search Box regarding previous replies on this question. CreakingBones then goes on to give a very personal and and very enlightning reply to the question. To me this is very refreshing attitude for us less experienced Trip Advisor members. Hope more of us take notice of this in future as it makes asking some times obvious questions not so silly. Go to the Top of the Class CreakingBones.

Cheers

Get answers to your questions about Da Nang