We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

I have 2 or 3 days in the area and I'm trying to work out where would be the best place to stay to get a chance to investigate the surroundings, see some historical sights, but also maybe get some time on the beach. I'm a solo traveller too so ideally I'm looking for somewhere that I can meet other travellers so accomodation suggestions would also be welcome. Budget wise I'm fairly open - cheap and cheerful is fine but also happy to pay a bit more if a place has a good atmosphere.

Any ideas?

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
532 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

Hoi An!!!!!

Danang has some great upmarket beach resorts and a nice beach, but it doesn't have a tourist centre. To me it feels like it was built like a regular city then someone said 'oh look we have a beach lets chuck some expensive hotels there' it lacks a good feel for tourists and defined shopping/entertainment areas.

Hoi An has everything to entertain you for a few days, and you can easily meet other travellers if you stay somewhere that has an internet or breakfast area or at one of the oodles of tourist bars/restaurants.

Can't tell you my fav hotel sorry as I have enough trouble getting a room there as it is :)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

Hoi An would be your best option to meet other travellers as there are a lot of backpackers there and it's a really nice town.

Winnabow, North...
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

Hoi An would be my choice. Stayed at the Thuy Dong 3 several months ago for about $38 per night. Comfortable accomodates, internet access, great breakfast buffet, and walking distance to historic and shopping areas. You can meet many tourist from all over the world at the hotel and other local establishments. Enjoy your visit!

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,909 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

Hoi An for singles - an intimate town with everything you're after. It's a good place to economize after higher-priced Hanoi and Saigon. Stay in the center of town in a small guesthouse, rent a bike to explore the town and beach, and walk to many in-town attractions and restaurants. I paid $15. at the Nhi Trung Hotel and was very happy. Danang is a city with very few of these things IMHO.

(hint - the little cafes around town beat those expensive places with quality and price)

my favorites: Bo Bo Cafe, Cafe 96, Laugh Cafe and Miss Ly's Cafeteria

shopunderwate... - you've explained Danang very well!

Edited: 12:32 pm, January 22, 2012
Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

Thanks for the advice folks. Sounds like Hoi An is the place to be so I'll have a look into the guesthouses in the town and check out how to get there directly from the airport.

Thanks for the Cafe tips too daawgon - I'll make a note of these as they could be handy. If anyone has any more tips that would be great. :-)

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

Is it relatively easy to get from Da Nang airport to Hoi An? Or...is a pre-organised local guide the best way to go to see the local vacinity in 2-3 days? We are interested in flying to Da Nang but more centred on sights around Hue and Hoi An.

Edited: 8:09 am, January 25, 2012
perth
Level Contributor
385 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

so how do we get fron da nang to hoi an......5 of us

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,058 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

Guildfordians, if you do a simple search on the forum using the little search box at the top of the listings, you will find this has been discussed a lot and all you need to know is already out there.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

Hi,

I appreciate this thread that is building.

I too, am having the same dilemma. I am coming to the area in the beginning of april. I was planning on staying in Hoi An from reading everyone's comments on tripadvisor but the hotels that I particularly liked are booked, and right now, I have a tentative booking with the new Sunrise Resort Hoi An which nobody knows yet will actually open on its official date of March 1. So now I may think about staying in the new Hyatt in Danang and just shuttle it back and forth to Hoi An. Is this a bad plan? I would like to see all the Hoi An signs and outside excursions which I don't think would be that much of a problem with a hotel shuttle. But at night, I'd like to go to the Hoi An Restaurants. Is this hard to get to from Danang, with our without shuttle? Is it easy with a taxi or are they hard to get between the two areas? Also, what is the temperature during that time of year. If it is nice, the danang beaches may be a great option.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay - Da Nang or Hoi An?

im planning for my trip as well, and stumbled upon this thread. what im thinking of, is the opposite. i rather find an accommodation in Hoi An, then shuttle to and from Da Nang because from what ive read and heard from friends so far, there isnt much going on in Da Nang? (correct me if im wrong..) whereas everyone whos been to Hoi An tells me that its damn nice! so looking forward to Hoi An!

Get answers to your questions about Da Nang