We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Da Nang stop over between legs of journey

Fillmore, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Da Nang stop over between legs of journey

Back again.....helping friend....If he goes on train from Hanoi to DaNang it looks like 16 hours.

Considering getting off train 11:30 am and spending the day in DaNang and getting on the train again at 11 pm and non stop to HCMC.

Question: What would be a cheap hotel to book for the day for shower, rest etc? Suggestions?

Would a guide be a possibility for a walk about for 4 hours or so starting in the afternoon and through dinner......as not to be alone

How far is the beach(es).......

What are 4 must sees for him in this short time (has never traveled before...)

again thank you.

3 replies to this topic
Tarentum...
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
3,128 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Da Nang stop over between legs of journey

Why not fly and save the hassle and time? Train station is about $5 usd from the beach. Metered taxis are reasonable and plentiful. Train travel for the experience of it is best done detween cities that don’t have connecting flights.

UK
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Da Nang stop over between legs of journey

If your friend needs to get from Hanoi to Saigon and wants to stop off somewhere in between, then why not use the time for something better than sitting on a train?

Day 1: Hanoi to Dong Hoi (Fly is possible, or train) Bus to Phong Nha.

Day 2: Full day of countryside and caves

Day 3: Morning in Phong Nha. Fly to SGN

Or replace Dong Hoi/Phong Nha by Hue and caves by tombs and citadel

Or just spend the time in Hanoi or Saigon.

If the aim for your friend is to have him spend lots of time on trains, then, by all means go for Danang, but he could do a lot more with the time than just getting from Hanoi to Saigon.

Easy to find a day room in pretty much any low to mid range hotel. Just walk in and ask. Probably avoid the ones with signs outside offering hourly rates. They're more for couples looking for some private time away from parents or children or spouses.

Beach isn't far from Station, but, https:/…43697.html

I'm sure that many of the companies offering full day tours based in Danang would arrange a half day of something if they were contacted ahead of time.

Fillmore, New York
Level Contributor
29 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Da Nang stop over between legs of journey

My friend has it in his head that the train ride will give him a taste of the real Vietnam. Has friends through work in both Hanoi and Saigon so those parts of the trip are taken care of tour wise for the most part.

Thanks for your input. I will talk to him again this weekend. I believe it is all overwhelming now that he is "going". They removed my post as inappropriate.....could not figure out why and now I know it is because I used the American slang "between the ----of the jourrney" no one to contact about this. LOL

Reply to: Da Nang stop over between legs of journey
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Da Nang