We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An or Hue

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An or Hue

I'm flying into HCM City but other than the couple of nights there, I have four other nights to spend in Vietnam. I have heard great things about Hue and Hoi An. Is one worth going to more than the other? Or should I split 2 days in each place? If so, how does one get from Hue to Hoi An?

Thanks!

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Hoi An or Hue

Thanks for your suggestions. Just booked my tickets to HCM City. Hadn't thought about a day trip but that might be a good idea.

California
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hoi An or Hue

Fly into Hue or fly into DaNang. Lots of things to do in both cites; however ,Hoi An is very laid back. You could stay 2 nights in each location and stop in DaNang to see the museum, China Beach, and what is left over from the American base there. You could then visit the imperial sites in Hue.

2 good hotels: Hai An trails resort and the Villiage Pilgramidge (sp) in Hue. Very nice.

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Hoi An or Hue

I can vouch for the orchid hotel in hue ! have posted a review under hotel section ( doesnt have a pool - the only negative I can think of!)

it was the best hotel in my whole trip and only $20 a night from memory.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Hoi An or Hue

Hi applefan,

We visted both Hue and Hoi An in Oct and as others have said both are great but it really depends on what you want to get out of your trip and what your likes/dislikes are. On our recent trip to Vietnam we spent two nights in Hoi An and 2 nights in Hue. To give you an idea. This is what we did....

Flew into Danang from BMT in the evening, small taxi minibus to Hoi An (about 40 mins I think).

Next day shopping and exploring and seing the sights. Japanese Bridge, a couple of the very old houses, temples etc. Just wandering the streets. Also had fittings for our suits we were having made.

Half day early morning trip to My Son. More shopping/collecting our clothes. Caught the 2pm bus to Hue ( I think about 3 hours). Wonderful scenery through the Hai Van Pass (Danang-> Hue). You really should try to do this in daylight.

Half day trip on the back of motorbikes (from Cafe on Thu Wheels Cafe) through the Hue countryside, visited the Japanese Bridge, a number of the royal tombs, the pagoda, viewed the monks morning prayer session at one of the temples and a number of other sites. Afternoon explored the Citadel.

Early morning flight to Hanoi.

I really think it is worthwhile to see both if you possibly can fit them in. If we had an extra day I would have probably chosen to spend this in Hoi An as we would have really liked to fit in a ride out to the beach area for at least half a day. We chose not to do this as it was just soooo hot when we were there.

Anyway I hope this helps and if you would like any further info just ask. I think whatever you decide will be great as there is so much to do in both these cities. And you can always easily while away several hours just people watching over a wine or a coffee at any of the cafe's.

Cheers and happy travels

Tracey

Asia
Level Contributor
9 posts
507 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Hoi An or Hue

I just returned (yesterday) from Hue and Hoi An.

I assume that as you are from HK, you want to de-stress and get fresh air.

So here's my 2 cents:

The precise mechanics I leave to you but I would highly recommend the following:

1. 2 nites in Hoi An. It's 30 minutes by car from Danang. I'd recommend Hoi An Riverside and dinner next door at Nam Long.

Visit My Son, a World Heritage site showing Indian influence in a predominantly Chinese-influenced cutlure.

Dinner the second nite at Brothers Cafe.

But actually, Hoi An has many good restaurants for a small place.

Getting from Danang to Hue, be sure to take the train: the ride is said to be one of the most scenic train journeys in the world. Alternatively if you go by car, be sure to go over the Hoi Van Pass at least once. It is a longer ride but offers scenic views.

2. 2 nites in Hue and at La Residence

Go for the spa. Take a riverboat to visit the palaces and mausoleums.

I'd suggest the spa last because you return to HK looking like a mllion bucks.

Enjoy!

16. Re: Hoi An or Hue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, August 21, 2009