We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

I've been looking around Hoi An and a lot of the things to do seem to be oriented towards couples or families. A friend and I (both 23 year old males) will be staying in Hoi An in June and I was wondering what the scene would be looking like in terms of meeting other backpackers/tourists (apart from couples/families). Is there an abundance of solo backpackers/pairs of backpacking friends around?

Any recommendations on where to stay to meet people?

Thanks.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

You'll meet more other tourists than you want as it is a small town flooded with all kinds of tourists you can imagine.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

James M

There is a great little backpacker hotel in Ba trieu st, just east and on the opposite side of the Vinh hung 3. I settled some friends in there a couple of years ago and they loved it. Central, cheap and an indoor swimming pool. Will check my records and try to get back to you with the name. I actually had to stay there a night in between bookings of my fave hotel and it was great. Stand by :-)

Mark

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
764 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

Sunflower hotel is popular for backpackers and we saw many when we stopped at the restaurant next door. Ba trieu st is also popular for backpackers. We have been to hoi an 4 times and you are right , that there are more families and older people travelling to Vietnam but don't worry. There are still lots of young travellers and prices are still cheap depending on where you go.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,294 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

My advice is to stay as close to the center of town as possible. I've stayed at inexpensive places on Hai Ba Trung several times. See the map here:

travelfish.org/interactive-map-location/viet…

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

The Sleepy Gecko is a popular backpackers hub. Swimming pool etc. Wide range of fellow travelers there. Its actually on the island so not so busy at night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

go stay at a saltwater backpackers hostel a newly opend backapckers owned by a westerer it is on the beach

London, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

go stay at saltwater backapckers hostel it is situatied on the beach and owned by a westner they also serive cider

Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

Thanks everybody! Sheath27, were you successful in finding the name of the hostel you were going to recommend?

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

Hey James,

Yes it is the Hoa binh hotel. Its address is 696 Hai ba trung but it also has a main entry on Ba trieu st. I will attach the Agoda link but it is showing $30 per night and I am sure I only paid about $20. Plenty of backpackers in this place though.

agoda.com/en-au/…

Mark

10. Re: Solo Backpackers Staying in Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 29, 2015