We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency? Cash if Cards

Gloucester
Level Contributor
91 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Which currency? Cash if Cards

Hi

Great informative forum. We're travelling to HMCC for a few days and then off to Hoi-An for remainder. What currency should I bring to change $ or £? or does it not matter... Where's the best place to exchange for Dong.....

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

The cheapest ATM....

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293921-s601/Vietnam:…

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,062 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

If you wish to bring cash, then bring GBP, no need to incur a double penalty by exchanging GBP for USD for VND. Cut out the middle man :-)

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

$ or £ is welcome to bring to Vietnam, it means you can change these into VND at many bank in Vietnam. Good bank is Vietcombank.

For spending in cash, USD or VND is prefer in Vietnam. (Official currency is VND). But, many restaurants, shops and hotels accepts VND as well as USD.

Additional information is that if you bring card, ViSa is easier (prefer) to get money in Vietnam.

Hope this can help you! Enjoy your time!

Edited: 9:18 pm, October 17, 2013
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,062 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

Well I would expect that "many restaurants, shops and hotels accepts VND" since it is the official currency of Viet Nam.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

As YorkFoodie suggests, I wouldn't pay using anything but VND when paying cash. Cambodia is somewhat different, but the legal tender in Vietnam is VND, nothing but.

As to what kind of plastic to use in ATMs you need to inquire with the CC issuer and ask what their costs are. It is probably printed right on their websites.

If you bring cash and have US currency, just bring that; otherwise bring £. The safe bet to exchange is in the bank, but most gold/jewellery shops will give you a slightly better rate. But the notes must be strictly mint condition. This applies to exchanging anywhere. For some reason, the Vietnamese don't mind their own bill being used beyond being recognisable, but foreign bills must be brand new or at least look that way.

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang
Level Contributor
2,749 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

Most of the ATM's I've used charge about the same a 20k vnd fee per transaction but your credit or debit card has their own fees for out of network usage and cross border fees, some can be substantial as I've learned in the past. Often I refuse VND notes from local vendors on principal for being torn....give the locals a taste of their own medicine. They look at me as if I had 2 heads sometimes when I say I want a new VND note.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

We have found that the vietinbank, bidv and donga bank ATMs did not charge us anything for using them, and are lucky enough to have an n&p account from the UK that also doesn't charge us, but definitely check your banks charges. Almost everything will be quoted in dollars to you at some point, but it is almost always cheaper if you ask for the VND price and pay that, but if you are bringing cash I would definitely suggest dollars (as already said, make sure they are new notes)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

Bring clean notes from home. The difference you get when changing for local currency will not justify changing to foreign notes in your home country. Also, bank card is ideal for withdrawing cash (find our what fees your bank will charge). As Drifter said above, there will be a local fee. In addition to your bank card and a small amount of cash, bring a backup credit card. You'll never know when you might need it. Good luck and Happy travels!

Richard

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

Bring clean notes from home. The difference you get when changing for local currency will not justify changing to foreign notes in your home country. Also, bank card is ideal for withdrawing cash (find our what fees your bank will charge). As Drifter said above, there will be a local fee. In addition to your bank card and a small amount of cash, bring a backup credit card. You'll never know when you might need it. Good luck and Happy travels!

Richard

10. Re: Which currency? Cash if Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, October 20, 2014