We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should not go to An Thanh Souvenir Shop, Hoi An

Ho Chi Minh City...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Should not go to An Thanh Souvenir Shop, Hoi An

Hi guys, I have just returned from Hoi An and would like to alert you that should not purchase anything at An Thanh Souvenir Shop, 11 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai st, Hoi An ( very near to Japanese Covered Bridge). I had a very bad experience with them as they changed fraudulently my stuff. Me and my mother bought 3 wooden statuses made by bamboo there and of course they were quite heavy. Therefore, we ask the woman there whether we could leave our stuff in her shop and would come back to pick them up after few hours. Due to buying stuff in this shop so we thought that the seller can take care of our purchase for a little while we went around the town. Our fault was trust them so we did not check our stuff carefully when we were back to pick it up. We never thought that the seller can do that with their customer because the Hoianese were so nice and we were so subjective. What will come will come. We came back to Ho Chi Minh city and found out that all stuffs were fraudulent. My mother was very disappointed and said that she would not come back to Hoi An again. So...I just want to share with you guys our bad experience about this shop and hope that nobody will not meet the same situation like us in your trip in Vietnam. Also note that the price in An Thanh Shop is quite higher than others ( we found it out after visiting some more shop in town) and the seller/owner is not friendly.

Edited: 11:25 pm, September 26, 2013
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should not go to An Thanh Souvenir Shop, Hoi An

Sadly, your experience is more common than not, not only in Vietnam but in other countries in SEA and perhaps the world. I would venture to say the vast majority of souvenir shops live off the international tourist trade. Locals would rarely visit these shops. They know the majority of tourists are coming for the single experience in their life and will never return. Easy prey!

Perhaps not in your case, unsuspecting clients are taken to many of these shops by commissioned tour guides. Stay away! Beware of tours that offer trips to venues that appear to be interesting on the surface but are really designed to herd the tourist into a "high pressure" selling experience, like a tea museum where you will be highly pressured to purchase a pound of worthless tea for $100 US or more for a half kilo or a Pearl Museum, where you will be sold a giant Black Pearl, albeit made of plastic!

A common scam might be to try and sell you something that might appear to be genuine. Indeed, it might be genuine but at the point of sale, the seller will indicate they need to go to the back room to get you a box and come back with a non-genuine item that looked identical to one you thought you were buying.

Also, during an exchange of money on a purchase, never let your genuine banknotes leave your sight until the transaction has been completed. A common scam is to give you back a counterfeit note, saying the one presented was no good or counterfeit and ask you for another genuine banknote. A few examples of typical scams quite common in SEA. Good luck and Happy travels!

Richard

2. Re: Should not go to An Thanh Souvenir Shop, Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 am, October 13, 2013
3. Re: Should not go to An Thanh Souvenir Shop, Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 15, 2014