We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine in Hoi An

Melbourne
Level Contributor
162 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Wine in Hoi An

Hi all - traveling to Hoi An in September with a large group of us. Just wondering - how easily it is to get Aussie wines and what are the prices like?? We were in Thailand last year and was told they would be very expensive when in fact they were a similar price to what we pay back home!! If they are outrageously expensive I better bring some via duty free!

Thanks for any info!!

Happy traveling and cheers!!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine in Hoi An

Aussie wine is much cheaper in Britain than it is in Australia. I'll be going to Hoi An next week so I'll let you know

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
894 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine in Hoi An

They are available but not cheap and we saw a few shops down near the cua dai beach - Asian supermarkets and a minimart- with a good range. Spirits and beer are much cheaper. Can't remember how much but I think roughly $15 to $ 30 a bottle for the cheapest. Vietnamese wine is about $ 4 a bottle but doesn't compare to Aussie wine.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
162 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine in Hoi An

Thanks Shell28. That isn't too bad a price. I had read somewhere from a very old post that some wines from the $25 range from here were selling at about $85 in Vietnam???? Ouch!!

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,255 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine in Hoi An

You can expect to pay at least double the price at home as their import tax on wine is quite high although spirits, imported, are about half what we would pay at home. The local stuff and beer is even cheaper, I can't work out the taxing system used:-)

Greg

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
894 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine in Hoi An

Yes possibly there are some very expensive wines that would be quite reasonably priced in Australia. The wines I saw at a reasonable price we would expect to pay under $12 in Australia. At least they are available but when drinking wine compared to beer or cocktails/spirits your total daily cost would obviously be higher. I am usually a wine drink and did try the DaLat wine on a few occasions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine in Hoi An

Hilltravellers

Try some of the wines from Chile and France. These are much cheaper than Aussie wines. There are some wine shops in the old town. The only problem is that the wines from these countries usually have corks, and are often kept in the sun all day.

Take a corkscrew with you. Much easier than carting wine around the country.

Beer, even if never drunk at home, becomes a pleasure in the heat.

Dalat wines must be tried for the experience - you don't need to finish the whole bottle!!

Regards DG

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine in Hoi An

After trying a couple of local wines I would avoid them. The big supermart chains carry a good selection of international wines at good prices so try them. They usually carry aussie wines as well.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine in Hoi An

After trying a couple of local wines I would avoid them. The big supermart chains carry a good selection of international wines at good prices so try them. They usually carry aussie wines as well.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine in Hoi An

I am a wine drinker through and through and I don't drink beer but when I was in Vietnam I became a cocktail drinker - $5 a cocktail and if you go in happy hour $2.50!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine in Hoi An

In 2008, wine prices in general were at least 4 to 5 times the price of Australian prices. The local wine of the time, Vang Dalat from memory was very cheap but really rough. Have been looking into myself as we are big wine drinkers and will be returning in October, and it appears prices have come down. Just beware of where you buy as their storage of wine is often questionable. Also check how cold the white wine is before you accept; their definition of cold is tepid sometimes. We normally take duty free gin and vodka to Asian countries, especially when travelling in a group of 8 people, you never have trouble getting mixers, the drinks go further and it's very refreshing. Good luck and Enjoy.

Get answers to your questions about Hoi An