We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is My Son worth while?

Yokohama, Japan
13 posts
Save Topic
Is My Son worth while?

We will stay in Hoi An for 2 days and do some tours here. We did some search about My Son and felt very interesting. Is it worth to do a tour there? What kind of the tours if we want to do a day trip? Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is My Son worth while?

Yes, without a doubt, although with only 2 days you need to maximise your time. Head out there early (by 8am, it takes about 1 hour 10 min) Enjoy the serenity, history, culture and photo ops, head back to the pavillion for the 9.30 am Cham dancers and you will be back in Hoi an by lunchtime. Time well spent IMO.

Good luck,

Mark

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is My Son worth while?

Hi Gomi

My Son has been badly damaged by time and ravages of war.

There is a lot of walking.

If you have been to other places like Borobodur you may be disappointed.

DG

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is My Son worth while?

My Son is very nice - highly enjoyed it, however small compared to other Cham type ruins so bare that in mind. Not a bad day trip and was highlight of our time in Hoi An.

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
72 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is My Son worth while?

I struggle to recommend My Son.. If your a history buff and haven't seen any Cham History then you should visit. If committed to go but are deciding on transport then i recommend you stay away from the cheap bus tours, you get what you pay for. Pay a little more and go in an air conditioned car or bus. Or take an easy rider motor bike tour and you get a guide and they will show you more on your excursion..

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,382 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is My Son worth while?

My Son makes for a nice little day trip, no matter how you chose to do it; however, with only two days, you may find that there's not even enough time for Hoi An.

You can decide once you get there; My Son is very easy to do.

6. Re: Is My Son worth while?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:32 pm, July 10, 2013
Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is My Son worth while?

Hey Micii

I took a few friends out there in May. 3rd time for me and first for them. The trip out there is beautiful and the site itself was a 'highlight of our trip' according to my friends.

The place holds a poignant reminder of the past and also of the war history and should not be discarded IMO.

Mark

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is My Son worth while?

we just went on a 'sunrise tour' which had us there and back at our hotel around 9am. air con van but with 14 of us in there (and about half of those large/tall people) it wasn't excessively comfortable.

the sun rises over the river, and was beautiful butr most of us were asleep as we started at 5am and the driver didn't stop. it was cool enough to walk around the ruins, we were there about an hour, the light was good for photos, and there were only a couple other groups around so very peaceful.

some of the group added a boat ride back to hoi an on to their tour.

it would mean going to bed very early and being a bit tired, but if you're disciplined (i'm not) you could be back on the tourist trail for lunch!

Yokohama, Japan
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is My Son worth while?

Thanks for your informative comments. It means that we need to join to a group tour. But I'm interested in renting a car for 4 of us to go in the morning and come back in the afternoon. I have contacted with an travel agency, they supply a tour guide to help us in the tour. My problem now is negotiating for the price of the tour. How much do you think?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is My Son worth while?

Before you book the tour get information on the tour agency first as lik everywhere else there are good and bad agencies.