We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

We wanted to visit the My Son site. Our hotel, the Huy Hoang River Hotel booked the tour for us at Camel Travel Agency. the tour was 7 USD with return by boat with lunch included.

In the bus, the guide introduced the tour and said that he will collect the entry fees 100 000 VND, in order to avoid wasting time in queuing.

Most of the travelers were foreigners, and I was traveling with 2 French friends and a Vietnamese friend; my Vietnamese friend was speaking to me and just said she was disappointed that the guide does not translate the comments in Vietnamese.

The guide heard her and begins to argue with her, saying that she does not deserve traveling with people of this bus. He also talked very loudly and rudely.

Then he collected the money from the other travelers, but not from us. When we arrive at the site, we bought the tickets by ourselves, and it was only 60 000 VND. Then a traveler asked the guide why they had to pay 100 000 VND whereas we (my friend and I) bought them only 60 000 VND. The guide replied briefly and rudely because the price is different for locals and foreigners. Then he only shows one ticket with the price of 100 000 VND, but did not give the entry tickets to the travelers.

After the visit, we arrive to the place to take the boat for the return. They served us a plate of rice with few leaves of vegetables, and a half of tofu. It's what they call the lunch.

One tip: Ask your hotel the name of the tour operator before booking, and search the reviews on internet to avoid this kind of bad surprise.

Santa Monica...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

ThinaT description of this tour is accurate. I thought this tour was very poor value and would recommend seeking out another..

The lunch was a child's portion size (think Ikea) and there weren't even enough seats for all the passengers on our boat. I was told the tour would end at 3pm when I booked it at what looked to be "camel's" office but instead we arrived back in Hoi An at around 1:30pm.

On this tour of My Son, we were told that there wasn't enough time for the museum. This was simply not true, just not the tour guide's priority. Before entering My Son, we spent 25 minutes at a tacky souvenir shop.

This was a cheap tour and I didn't expect much anyway. I would rather think of this as a way to get to My Son. If you are looking for a quality river cruise or actually visiting a village (not just another shop) look for something else.

2. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 20, 2013
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

Sirion have you reposted it?

We will keep an eye on the post.....

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,617 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

Yet another bagging of Camel Travel. How do they stay in business ?

Sirion I agree please re-post as we rely on all reports good or bad.

Cheers Ross

5. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 pm, October 09, 2013
Guayaquil, Ecuador
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

The guy running this place is very disrespectful and treats you like ***... Avoid this company, for bus booking he oversold and then make us wait 6 hours, plus he then pushed you to give him more money by trying to sell us tours while we waited... It was his fault he sold more tickets than the actual bus capacity has and he is not man enough to recognize that fact...

Edited: 9:22 pm, February 09, 2014
London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

I'm currently sitting in a cafe recovering from a Camel Tour. Boy I wish I had seen this review earlier. I booked the tour to My Son through what looked like a reputable tour office n Hoi An old town. It was sold as a pickup and drop off from hotel. I was told 7.45am pickup. Around 8.30pm a guy on a motorbike turned up and told me he was taking me 'to the bus'. We drove to a dingy little office on a dirty little street just outside the old town where we waited for another 15 minutes in the heat before the bus finally turned up. We then spent the next 20 minutes driving to a hotel to pick up some other guests. Double standards or what?

Our guide's name was Dunt (and yes, I believe that IS rhyming slang!). He was certainly informative but his manner was so harsh and aggressive that I tried to tune out as much as possible and peeled away on my own as soon as we got to the actual site. I suspect he pulled the same stunt with the tickets as he collected 100,000 from the 20 or so people on the bus on the way there and then bought and held on to the tickets. It was only at the end of the trip when we split into groups of bus or boat for the trip back to Hoi An that he waved them in the air and vaguely asked if anyone wanted them for a souvenir, but he was gripping one end very tightly (presumably the bit with the entrance price on it) and no one called his bluff.

By this point I realised that the boat trip back (that I had already paid for) was going to be nightmarish so thankfully I declined spending an additional hour with the man and said I'd go back by bus (faster). To be honest, at that point I'd have paid extra to get away from him.

I feel so sorry for the others who took the boat, no doubt they'll be herded into his commission based traps and held hostage for longer than they want.

Meanwhile, instead of the bus dropping us back at our hotels or even near the Japanese bridge (his parting promise) we were unceremoniously dumped back at the dingy little offices on the outskirts of the old town and told to find our own way back. I was hot and dirty after two hours at My Son and it really was the final straw.

I can't believe the guide even had the cheek to tout for tips as he bade us farewell. Never have I endured any service that was less deserving of a tip.

Bottom line: avoid at all costs and hopefully they will go out of business soon and not inflict themselves on any other unwary travellers.

Having said all that, My Son itself is extremely beautiful and well worth a visit, just don't go with Camel Tour or Passion Tour (which I think was the name on my receipt....the one they refused to let me keep). This company is seriously dodgy.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

H i Karen sorry to hear about your bad experience with passion tours ,but if its' any consolation i got caught too back in oct.last year .Arranged tour and hotels from hoian right through hanoi ,,sapa,halong bay ,just about everything he told us about the bookings and tours etc.just didnt happen ranging from early check ins to late checkouts ,tour events ,the list goes on .Idid put up a post on here just after i returned home but it was removed also my repost ,so i was surprised when i received email from trip advisor informing me of an update to my post on this dodgy rouge

London
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

To be fair, it could have been a lot worse. It was only one day and really just amounted to a case of time wasting before the tour, an obnoxious, self-satisfied guide throughout the day and the probability of him pulling a swifty with the tickets (the money didn't bother me so much, I just hate the feeling of being milked) and not being returned to the hotel (i.e. being left in an area of town that I was completely unfamiliar with). I guess these types of guys are taking advantage of the fact that most people only spend a couple of days in Hoi An and their state of initial bewilderment is easy to to take advantage of.

I wonder why the posts were removed? I would have appreciated knowing about these guys before I wasted precious holiday time with them.

Edited: 12:33 am, May 25, 2014
Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid My Son tour with Camel Travel agency in Hoi An

I sympathise with you Karen C, but you seem to be pretty switched on with travel. Why didnt you check these tour guides out in the first place? After many trips I still rely on the TA community for a bit of guidance and they come through always.

I am glad that you added your crap experience to this post and hopefully people will be able to use this thread to avoid this company.

Mark