We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hue, Vietnam
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

I booked a car trip with private driver to do the trip from Hoi An to Hue via the scenic route. I paid, Coral Travel Company Ltd, 45 Le Loi Street Hoi An, $US60 for this trip and was assured at the time of booking I could go via the scenic route and the driver would speak good English and stop wherever I asked him to.

It was the worst trip I have ever done and to say I was terrified is an understatement. There were a number of issues;

I asked him to stop in Da Nang as I wanted to have a quick wander on the beach, his response to this was '10 minutes'. I assumed he was just going to stop further up the coast. After 25 minutes I said again, please can we stop. Same response. He then turned off to go inland which surprised me but I let it go for a bit longer. When we got to the huge rest stop just prior to the tunnel I asked again if we could stop. No, 10 minutes. Well over half an hour had passed.

He did finally stop after the tunnel in a very unsavory spot. I got out of the car in need of a breather, he too got out and then locked the car doors and walked away. Twenty minutes later he came back! I started to ask why we had gone through the tunnel and why we were not on the scenic route. I also asked him to call the travel agent, he refused. He demanded I get in the car, and given that all my luggage was in there I had little choice. I kept asking why we were not going on the scenic route and asking him to call the agent. After some time of constantly questioning him he finally did make a call and speak for about 10 minutes, I spoke to no-one. About half an hour out of the tunnel the phone rang and it was the agent. I was told, without being asked anything that I was not allowed to use bad words at the driver. I was stunned. I had done nothing other than constantly question why we were on the main highway and not taking the scenic route I had paid for. I kept trying to tell the agent that this was what the issue was and that I had said nothing unacceptable. She would not address the issue of why we were not taking the scenic route. She asked me to pass the phone to him which I did and he spoke with her at length.

He drove like a lunatic and refused to turn on the air con even when the car temperature reading was saying it was 41 degrees. In the end I just opened a window and this seemed to tip him over the edge. He slammed the breaks on and got out of the car and started yelling at me, mostly in Vietnamese, and hitting the car door and demanding that I get out of the car as he would take me no further. I was terrified. I was alone, female, and in the middle of nowhere with a huge amount of luggage, in a country whose language I do not speak. He blustered about out of the car for about 10 minutes and then finally got back in and started to drive again.

We made it from Hoi An to Hue, including his 20 minute breakfast break and his rant at me in two and a half hours, pretty sure he thought he was a rally driver!

I tried to call the Blue Coral Travel Co office a number of times once I was back in Hue but it seems the number they gave is only for Vietnamese speakers and they have no web site! They use the same logo as the Blue Coral Dive company but it would seem they may not be associated with them!

They are located in the heart of the Old City, and they have a very prominent position, there is also an ATM in their office, and they look very legitimate but it seems they might be one of those Vietnam con's, and I got conned. It is the first bad experience I have had, and other tours and hotels I have used have been fantastic, so this is not normal even for Vietnam. Interestingly there are some other negative comments about Blue Coral Travel but they have been listed on the Blue Coral Tripadvisor page and there is a response saying they are not associated.

Hue, Vietnam
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

That's the way several travel agents in Old Quarters of Hanoi, Hoi An, etc do their business, very poor customer service. Even they got terrible reports on TA, they still managed to survive thanks to their location. But in the long term, they will have to close down.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

Sorry you had such a terrible experience but thanks for warning others.

Hue, Vietnam
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

Sadly you are right. Let's hope they do go out f business and leave more room for the good ones. There are some fantastic local travel agents and the bad ones tend to reflect on them all and put travelers off using them...

Hue, Vietnam
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

Every other experience I have had traveling around Vietnam has been fantastic though, so one bad one among so many is really pretty good! Even the Reunification Train trip was not the horror that I had read about, and I even got some sleep on it!

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
756 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

OMG, sounds like the trip from hell indeed. Sorry to hear that. We also had a private driver pick us from Danang to take us to Hue, but he was lovely, spoke a bit of English and was a careful and considerate driver.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

If booking a driver with a company always write down clearly all arrangements like route, time, breaks etc.

And never, never, never pay for driver before reaching your destination. If things are bad, they don't care about anything after your money is paid.

7. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 20, 2013
Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,697 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

Sirion, I saw your post and was surprised by its sudden disappearance.

It is very doubtful that TA staff removed it as it contravened no posting guidelines. The most likely explanation is that the requisite number of TA members triggered automatic removal by reporting it as inappropriate. Only people with a vested interest in hiding your report would do that.

You can do one of two things: (1) contact TA to ask for its reinstatement (a complicated process but I can tell you how to do it if required), or (2) repost it on this thread. I'm keeping the URL of this thread on file just in case the same thing happens again.

Edit: I belatedly noticed that this thread is about a different company, so the options now become (1) contact TA, or (2) start your own thread again.

Edited: 9:26 am, August 17, 2013
9. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

10. Re: Blue Coral Travel Co Ltd - BEWARE!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it made false or speculative claims about TripAdvisor and its staff, or it quoted or summarized private correspondence from TripAdvisor staff.