We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meekong river

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Meekong river

Hi

I am going to Vietnam in March and want to spend a few days travelling up the Meekong river to see the sights, floating markets and way of life there.

I have looked on line and there seem to be tourist boats that take you in 3 day 2 night excursions.

Does anyone know if it is easy to just head there yourself and get a local to take you instead of on a big tourist boat or stay on a smaller boat with just 4 cabins.

I am with my family of 9 people so we could have a small boat to our selves?

I've been told it's a lot cheaper to do it that way and wondered if anyone out there has done this?

Look forward to any info and experience in your replies

x

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,220 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meekong river

You might have more luck posting this in the general Viet Nam forum: the Mekong is not in Hoi An.

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Meekong river

Thanks x

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Meekong river

For children, a 3 day on the Mekong brown water might be a bit boring. Just stay one night on board and the other night in a hotel or homestay. Just read your question in another thread regarding the mosquito and malaria. It is not a big deal during the day but from dusk, do not sit outside with short and without repellent. malaria is under control so no worry.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meekong river

Hi my experience is that it is next to impossible to pick up a boat without a local contact such as a tour guide. The language barrier makes it very difficult to do it yourself. You will find some touts patrolling the river front and they are usually offering a boat with a roof just for shade - no sleeping quarters. We took one of these when they told us the trip would be 6 hours with stops - it took 10 hours without stopping - a nightmare trip. I recommend you join some sort of tour.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
4,418 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meekong river

March is very busy time and you should book in advance for overnight cruise.

There are some private cruise with 2-4 cabins that will suit your family. You can search for that. You better check the availability as it is high season.

Cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Meekong river

Thanks very much.. I'll re think and try and book! I thought it was low season!?

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meekong river

You are still in Hoi an????

London, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Meekong river

Argh!!! It's not my computer, it's me! I'm such a ludite! Sorry!

9. Re: Meekong river

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 08, 2014