We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips For Hoi An

Bury, manchester
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Tips For Hoi An

We (wife and i) are off to Hoi An on the 27th, Staying at the Boutique Hoi An. We have read the books and studied the forum. But to you seasoned Vietnam travellers what two or three things are your must dos' in and around Hoi An - if its a bit further afield try us!. We are NOT going to be buying shoes or using tailors and i dont need any specs. Thanks in advance to all who take the trouble.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips For Hoi An

Head down to the river early in the morning, take up a seat in a cafe directly opposite to where the boats come in, order a caffe sua da (white coffee with ice) or caffe sua nam (hot white coffee) and watch the boats arrive. A truly wonderful example of organised chaos.

Mark

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,651 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips For Hoi An

If you want to look at old buildings, museums etc, go to one of the local travel agencies which issue Hoi An tourist tickets and buy one each. They are good for the day of issue and you can visit (from memory), five things- one from each category of - museum, cultural activity, temple, community hall and old house. One is the temple on the Japanese Bridge, you can go on the bridge itself any time for free. If you want to see more than one you buy another ticket, but they are dirt cheap, less than $5 each iirc. Of the old houses the Old House of Tan Ky is the only one worth visiting IMO, the others have become thinly disguised souvenir shops. The Museum of Trade Ceramics is also quite interesting as it deals with the history of Hoi An as the largest trading port in SE Asia in the 1600s. I think any of the temples and community halls you would find interesting if you're into culture and history.

I'd also try to organise a morning trip to My Son, if you get there by 9.30am there should be a free Cham culture show on in addition to your tour of the Cham ruins.

The Marble Mountain is very cool IMO, and I'd recommend exploring both sides of the river, not many people seem to go over to the other side but there's some neat stuff there.

Bia hoi at the Quan An is cheap and good :-) and the food is excellent.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips For Hoi An

If you do buy the tourist ticket buy the one for group A's chung Ong and not the Japanese bridge one.

Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips For Hoi An

My husband and I just got back from Hoi An.

This was our "relax" time.

My tip 3 thing to to would be

1. Eat at white sail cafe and order the tamarind crab.

2. Walk around leisurely and enjoy the beautiful town.

3. Walk through and around the market, especially the seafood and meat sections.

Have a great time! We loved it

Edited: 8:09 pm, January 13, 2013
Beechworth...
Level Contributor
228 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips For Hoi An

YorkFoodie has some good ideas, particularly getting over to the other side of the river. Hire some bikes from your hotel or a street vendor and hop on to the public ferry that leaves from the wharf and heads over to Cam Kim island. Spend a couple of hours getting lost peddling around the paddy fields and villages of the island. Don't worry, its an island and you'll end up back to where you started to catch one of the regular ferries back across the river. Its a nice way to spend an afternoon once you seen the main attractions of Hoi An.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips For Hoi An

Here is my ideas of three must see & do in Hoi An:

Hoi An food & cooking class: Hoi An is best place in Vietnam to dive in local cuisine

Hoi An heritage sites & Hoi An at night. Never miss the river scene, especially a sunset over Japanese Pagoda Bridge, the symbol of Hoi An.

Hoi An countryside: try the fishing & boat race in Cam Thanh. Great fun

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips For Hoi An

Yeah, definitely head over to the islands on the pushy. We just hired a local lady and her boat, put the bikes in and headed off. She waited at the wharf for us. We pedalled around and ended up at a little shop in the middle of nowhere. We paid for ice blocks for a couple of little school kids and next thing we know word had gotten out and we had to fork out for about 60 kids. At about 10 cents a pop it was well worth the fun and chatting with the owner and his wife was really interesting as well.

Oh yeah, as Yorky said, try to see the Cham dancers at My Son. We thought it would be a bit touristy and watched anyway. It was mesmerising. The bride nearly had to drag me out of there :-)

Mark

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips For Hoi An

Hi,

You must eat at least one night at Cafe 43. Arrive around 7.30 and it is usually packed. Great atmosphere, which can be lacking in a lot of places as customers are spread thin with so many restaurants to choose from. They also serve the best fresh beer in town (3000 Dong a glass).

For the best caffe sua da walk down the beach road towards the public bathing area. On the corner on the right before Zero Sea Mile Club there is a house with a small courtyard in front with small bamboo tables. The lady's name is Lanh and her coffee is the best. We walk up every morning and sometimes again in the afternoon.

Cheers

Col

Bury, manchester
Level Contributor
87 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips For Hoi An

Thanks for the help - it will make it all the more enjoyable. You can read all you like about a place but only thiose who have explored can suggest the hidden gems

ta

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
607 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips For Hoi An

I enjoyed looking around the old houses, the temples and riding a bike I hired for $3 a day out to the paddy fields, down to the market, over to the other side of town and out to the beach. One of the best places I visited in VN.