We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An - Rats

Lynmouth, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An - Rats

Hoi An is a wonderful little place to visit but like me if you have an adversity to rats you might be disapointed or even distressed!

We stopped at 8 restaurants to either eat or drink during our 2 nights there. In 4 of the eateries we had rats within a few feet of us either under nearby tables, in the rafters or along the walls. We also saw several near the river after dark. We spent 3 further weeks in Vietnam and only saw one other one in our whole trip!

Unfortunately It completely spoilt my time in Hoi An, so if you do suffer from a rat phobia and visting Hoi An you might need to eat in upstairs venues and dont stay out too late.

1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Hoi An - Rats

I'm currently staying in Hoi An and I saw a rat tonight in the hotel's foyer, i'm actually in shock and cannot sleep. I have a serious phobia of rats! Did you go to Hoi An in the end?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,895 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Hoi An - Rats

What sheltered lives so many of us seem to lead!

Yet we seek to travel to lesser developed countries and then to complain about commonplace aspects of those countries.

Rgds. Ian

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Hoi An - Rats

Well, I was driving home through a well developed, upmarket suburb here in Oz and saw a rat! They are a fact of life everywhere in the world and I'm sure they are in Europe as well, if you care to look.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
197 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Hoi An - Rats

Just got back from Phuket today (yes I am happy to admit I am already planning the next holiday to counteract the deep depression i am currently suffering as this holiday has now officially ended.

We were staying in a 5 star resort in Phuket and yesterday i saw a rat run across the path as we were walking across the road to the beach. This hotel was immaculate in every sense so not a hygeine issue. I don;t think you can always blame a lack of hygeine on an abundance of rats Where there are areas of dense population you will find rats.

When we lived in Hong Kong we saw them fairly frequently late at night, and we get them in Melbourne too- especially when a house is being renovated in your street- it stirs up their nests. Not a Vietnam only problem. You'll miss out on amazing experiences if you let the rats worry you as it probably won't be an issue

Lynmouth, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Hoi An - Rats

I think you are missing the point:

1/ I had/have a phobia of rats which is unimaginable if you have no such fear.

2/ There was a disproportionate number of rats in a small area that other people with a phobia might find distressing.

3/ I have travelled exensively including a year in India and umpteen visits to Asia- yes there are rats there, here where I live in UK, everywhere!! ....but never have I experienced so many in such a short space of time.

DD

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Hoi An - Rats

Hey Dotty,

I have to tell you that these vermin have legs and no curfew, so eating upstairs and early in the evening will not help if there is actually a plague in Hoi an.

Luckily we didn't face off to a single critter on our trips but maybe you could empower yourself to face this phobia and maybe try a rat curry hotpot or similar. Rat flesh is very lean and similar to duck or chicken in texture according to Andrew Zimmern.

I'm serious,

Mark

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Hoi An - Rats

They are so fast and there are no cats....

a bad combination :(

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,084 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Hoi An - Rats

So, dotty the "a rat" you saw in your first post has now become "a disproportionate number of rats". How many is "disproportionate"?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
80 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Hoi An - Rats

Dotty Darling,

They will never understand our phobia. Yes, I live in New York, yes I've traveled the world extensively, yes I am adventurous, and yes I'm terrified of one rat, let alone many in a short tie frame. I'm still going to Hoi An as part of my Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos trip, but I'm scared!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
788 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Hoi An - Rats

Maurizio has a good point... dogs, yes but why not as many cats?

I understand dotty to a degree, once I see one rat (even a tiny tiny mouse) I start jumping at any shadow around... mind you I freaked out on the train from Hue to Hanoi when a tiny little mouse started scurrying around frantically in front of me while I was frantically screaming and trying to find a chair to jump on out of its way

cheers baddles