We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
14 posts
314 reviews
Save Topic
Smoking?

We plan to visit Hoi An in August and, being smokers, were wondering if anyone knows if smoking is permitted during breakfast, at the pool & the bar (and whether there are smoking rooms) in these hotels:

1. Swiss Belhotel Golden Sand Resort Spa

2. Le Belhamy Hoi An resort & Spa

3. Palm Garden Beach Resort Spa

Thank you!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Smoking?

There was also a recent article in the local press about drug addict bus drivers, who snort speed or meth to get them through those long overnight drives. Certainly explains the way a lot of them drive!

22. Re: Smoking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:42 am, July 29, 2012
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,385 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Smoking?

I'd agree with you both........ ..... flickr.com/photos/bertie_is_here/5481175057/ even down by the riverside there is no escape.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Smoking?

I love your photos of Saigon, bertie. We're going there for the first time next March and they've really given me a feel for the place. I noticed that some of them are titled Saigon and some HCMC. We have many Vietnamese shop keepers around us and they all call it Saigon and they're all from the south. I've yet to meet any North Vietnamese here. It seems it's mainly government departments, airlines etc that call it HCMC. Is this correct ? Sounds like there's a lot more to worry about than smoking !!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Smoking?

Yep most people who live here called it Saigon (though we often write it as HCMC for convenience). Only government types & northerners refer to it as Ho Chi Minh City. But you can use either and noone will be offended.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,385 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Smoking?

Officially, Saigon refers to most of what is District 1 of HCMC, the rest is suppose to be called Ho Chi Minh City but most people I met while there refer to the whole as Saigon.

But as Tim says if they come from the North... HCMC, although saying that, my partner is North, born and bred and she calls it Saigon as well.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
40 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Smoking?

You seem to be able to smoke pretty much everywhere in Vietnam - forget the non-smokers! They can go on holiday to Australia ;)

Vung Tau, Vietnam
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
28. Re: Smoking?

Well soon you wont be able to smoke everywhere and the smokers can go to North Korea,lol.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,802 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Smoking?

omg- i feel smoke coming out of my head, but not from cigarettes.

a few days ago a whole table of French people lit up (there were 6 of them, and 5 lit up) whilst we were eating in a restaurant - they'd finished their food- i turned to them and said "you cannot smoke in here- if you want to smoke, go outside" they said ok, and did so...

yesterday whilst we were eating dinner in Shree Ganesh, three young english girls (backpackers) lit up their smokes...my husband appealed to me not to make a fuss as the fans were on and it wasn't blowing our way, but i have to say my temperature was rising and lucky for them, they left after about five minutes.

We're seeing people smoking everywhere more than ever...

30. Re: Smoking?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 17, 2013