We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

Devon
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

Hi - We are off to Vietnam for the first time in the first 2 weeks of August. We have allowed ourselves 6 days in Hoi An so that we can experience a little more than the bare essentials. Have any of you been on any of the tours to the Cham Islands? How is the snorkeling?(we dont dive but love to snorkel if possible). Is the water clear? Does the trip over ever get really choppy? I have searched on the search bar but dont seem to find much recent info on either Rainbow Divers or ChamIslandTours trips for snorkelers - I wonder whether this is because the trip isnt really recommended. Does anyone have any current info?

Many Thanks

Phat Tire Ventures
Sightseeing Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Bike Tours, Canyoning & Rappelling Tours
Tommy Dao Tours
Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours
Hoian Eco Coconut Tour
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Eco Tours
Hoi An Private Car
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Scuba & Snorkeling, Food Tours, Bike Tours
Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

The Cham island tour is fun

There are two types of boats that travel out to the island, speedboats and the large wooden boats. If your worried about choppy water, do NOT take the speedboats, and if you do take the speedboat do NOT sit in the bow. I sat in the very front of the bow and thought my spine had shattered in a million pieces by the time we arrived. The young guns that do 'driving' push the speedboats at full throttle, and the boats quickly start hopping over the swells followed by a bone-numbing slap as it hits the water again. Recommend that you sit in the stern and you should have that efffect minimized. I went out to the docks a few months ago and they have puchased/traded to a new fleet of speedboats that are much larger, so maybe the wave-hopping issue is no longer a problem.

First thing visited at the island is a small fishing village. Nothing really special here, but still interesting for a first-time visitor. The guide will lead everyone to a small museam, and then along a pathway through the residential area of the village. After about 45 mintues everyone hops back into the boat. Next stop is snorkeling along one of the small bays of the island. The equipment is pretty worn out, but acceptable for a short and shallow romp around the bay. After about 30 minutes the snorkeling ends, the tour continues and the boat finally arrives at a secluded beach. This is the BEST part of the tour!! You will enjoy a home-cooked fish dinner served outside, and it was delicious! After lunch everyone is allowed several hours of 'free time" to explore the beach area, rest in hammocks, swim, photograph.... The beach is beautiful and this alone made it worth the tour. After free time is over the guide will yell for everyone to return to the boat, a headcount is taken, and then the ride back to the docks in Hoi An.

Edited: 3:57 pm, June 27, 2012
Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

PS. May- Aug is when the water is clearest

Devon
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

Thanks that's great info - very useful. Was your trip with Rainbow?

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

Nah Rozzers, I just went out to the marina and talked directly to the guys that operate the boats. Most of the travel agencies and hotels in Hoi An act as ticket brokers and take a cut from the proceeds. The marina is located straight South down the beach road about 2-3Km's and almost dead-ends at the docks (you should be able to see the marina and boats). Most of the guys speak English, and you can save some bucks by cutting out the middleman.

Edited: 8:05 pm, June 27, 2012
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

August in Hoi an is fine and you can do boat trip to Cham island no problem.

I would suggest you to contact with Paul Dennis from Karma water , he lives in Hoi an and organizes boat tours , He is very helpful!

Here is the link:

www.karmawaters.com/contact-us-11.phtml

Cheers,

Nhung

Devon
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

Thank you World Panda. I read somewhere that a catamaran also goes over with some expert sailors in charge and they can tailor the day to you but that sounds a little out of our price range perhaps. As long as there's no cowboy operation to steer clear of we'll try our luck down at the dock (!).

Thanks for your input

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

I didn't see any catamarans at the docks or on the banks, but suppose they could be launched from other places. The guys at the marina can arrange a private trip, but as you said it can be very pricey.

I would take a visit to the marina and talk to the guys, its an easy bicycle ride from Hoi An town, or the hotel shuttle could even run you out there. The guys can give you the actual info on catamarans, private tours, etc without dealing with the middleman tour operators.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,558 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

Its worth the day out but dont expect Seychelles, South Pacific or Great Barrier Reef clarity. The east sea is a sedimented sea and as such gets cloudy in windy conditions.

Cheers Ross

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

I don't think they are filming a National Geographic underwater diving expedition. The water should be more than clear enough around Cham for some family-fun snorkeling.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,558 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoi An Cham Island Daytrip this August

World Panda you are probably right but I have seen too many quotes by people related to the travel industry in Vietnam quoting the "crystal clear blue waters of the south china sea ", to just let people go on without some reservation. The motto of TA used to be "get the truth-then go."

Ross