We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

I have visited Hoi An numerous times in recent years and love the relaxed and charming atmosphere of Hoi An town and beautiful beach at Cua Dai, BUT,BUT,BUT the one that really infuriates me is the rip-off attitude by staff on the public bus from Danang to Hoi An. I have travelled from DaNang bus station to Hoi An approx. 6 times. The bus is primarily used by locals but is also used by back papers and solo travellers as a cheaper alternative. The locals pay 15,000 Vn dong and tourists/foreigners are charged 50,000 dong and with no tickets ever issued, it is a lucrative incentive to rip off as much as they can extract.

Yesterday, (23 Aug, 2011) caught the bus from the DaNang depot and despite my challenging the rip-off, they bstuck to their guns.

A short distance into the trip, a young Japanese tourist was also charged 50,000 and when he produced his 2011/12 Japanese travel guide, was told the book was "Old book" 10 minutes later a youing British traveller gets on and is told the fare is 50,000 dong and he challenges the "rip off" for the next 15 minutes but the 4 staff on bus all tell him that sis the price for everyone and reused to budge on the price. Result 3 foreight tourists all left with a bitter taste in their mouth and poor memory of local hospitality.

Make no mistake, this is not a cse of poor local people "sharing the riches of affluent foreign tourists, but straight out greed and lying on a public transport service

This is not a case of penny-pinching and one need only look at the nearby notorious tuk tuk rip offs to see the tourism pr disaster that creates.

If travelling in a group of 2 or more then negotiating a taxi fare to Hoi An is better alternative, and,if travelling from Hoi An to Danang, a taxi a can be enaged for 200,000.

Hopefully if enough people challenge the on bus practice and complain to tourism uthorites this annoying rip-off will end.

200 replies to this topic
Grahamvale...
Level Contributor
239 posts
28 reviews
18 helpful votes
1. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Thanks for your info, we will traveling VN in 8 weeks time as a family of 4 and i was wondering how we were going to get from Danang to Hoi an.

Looks like a taxi will be the way to go for us.

Just wondering if you know if taxi's are readily available early in the morning. Our flights leaves Danang at 8.20am so i am guessing we will need to leave Hoi an by 6.30am to make our flight. Would it be the same price (around 200,000) at that time.

Is there any brand of taxi that is better than another?

Thanks for posting, it's great to get all this info for us first timers :)

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,958 posts
71 reviews
76 helpful votes
2. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Lots of places have different prices for locals and foreigners all over the world. In the grand scheme of things, being charges $2.40 instead of 75c isn't going to break the bank, and while there is for you a principal involved, I wouldn't let my holiday be spoiled for the sake of a couple of dollars.

Since you all were charged the same price, perhaps this is indeed company policy, otherwise I would have thought they might try on even higher prices if they thought they could get away with it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

I agree that as foreigners/tourists we often pay a more expensive price for fruit, etc at the market, etc. but it is done in a subtle way and I/we happily pay that extra. The Danang bus is such overt act, that in my humble opinion, it can spread and tarnish the goodwill and efforts of those working hard to improve the tourist industry. 3 unrelated incidents on this one trip and all individually querying staff, would indicate that people are aware, typically via travel books, the correct price and object to blatant rip-offs.

Let's hope Hoi An and Vietnam, never suffer the tourism pr disaster that Thailand now has with tuk-tuk rip-offs, and jetski scams. The Vietnames tourism industry and all those who rely on it deserve better.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

"jetski scams"?

Let's hope the Vietnamese do the sensible thing and outlaw that darned things.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
14 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

I have on several occassions used private car/service arranged by local friends and typically have paid 200,000 usually early afternoon. Will probably be a little dearer, maybe 250,000 for earlier morning service.

I recommend when dining at restaurant, ask staff/manager if they can recommend reliablea and competitive airport transfer. My experience is they are very happy to assit and often get referals in return for their restaurant..

The reason I started this post is I am fortunate to have approx. 20 very good local friends in Hoi An wo either own businesses or work in the tourist industry, they have all heard similar complaints from customers of the Danang bus and are concerned the bus rip-off will damge their industry and hard working honest people

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
4,140 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

I just remembered that going on the 152 bus from Tan Son Nhat airport to District 1 in HCMC I paid for 2 seats (one seat was for my bags), but I only received one ticket. Same for my wife. So the scams are everywhere.

Taxi drivers routinely get away with getting the airport entry/exit ticket worth 5.000 VND from their customers, both on entry and, for a new customer, on exit.

The reason they get away with these scams is that the amounts are usually small.

rotterdam, Holland
Level Contributor
234 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

On my last visit to Hoi An in juli I used the bus of BigC supermarket. It goes from the bus station in Hoi An to the BigC supermarket in Danang (next to the central market) for free. If you want to return to Hoi An you just have to show the driver your BigC receipt (just to check if you bought something) and you can use the bus for free again.

I believe that the bus is leaving Hoi An 5 times a day. Ask locals for the exact times.

It is not a service you can use if you arrive at the airport but if you want to visit Danang a useful alternative.

Tarentum...
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
213 reviews
133 helpful votes
8. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Just pray that the bus monitors get on your bus someday. They do in Sai Gon all the time and the conductor better be right....they just randomly hop on and do a count and check if everyone has a ticket. If you pay for more than one seat demand a second ticket....it protects you too. I had a private taxi take me to Hoi An from DNG once, booked through my friends at a barbershop......trip down, wait 3 hrs and back for 250k......when we pulled up to the barbershop on the return he tried to scam me for 600k....out of the barbershop comes my friends like a shot and dresses down the driver....then she insists I don't tip the guy to teach him a lesson. I wouldn't mess with her either.........Vietnamese business women can be vicious.

Drifter

www.vnfrom.blogspot.com

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,958 posts
71 reviews
76 helpful votes
9. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

I'm not talking about the subtle overcharging at the market, I have been in countries where there is one published price for entry/transport etc for the locals, and a higher published price for visitors. Totally overt. No point in getting bent out of shape about it, it is what it is.

USA
Level Contributor
228 posts
3 reviews
8 helpful votes
10. Re: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off

Even Vietnamese from overseas pay a different price .... This practice happened 13 years ago even at the boat ride in Ninh Bing or museums,etc ... And I speak Vietnamese and went with my relatives! They paid different price ...

This happens everywhere in the world. I went to Russia last year and yes, we pay A LOT higher than locals to get in the museums, etc ..

Anyways as long as the country is still being developed, communist, etc ... I don't think it will improve. Look at Russia! China is similar.

BTW, bribery in these countries is rampant so I don't think the bus operators will get caught.

Reply to: Danang to Hoi An (yellow ) public bus rip off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted