We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Siem Reap to Hoi An

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
38 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Siem Reap to Hoi An

I am planning a trip in August to China, Cambodia and Vietnam. I had planned to go to Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Guilin in China, 4 days in Cambodia to visit the Angkor Wat and then to the beach in Hoi An, Vietnam and flying back home from Ho Chi Ming City. The internal flights in China are very reasonable, but the flight from Guilin to Siem Reap and (even more so) the flight from Siem Reap to Da Nang (for Hoi An) are very expensive. Most flights that I've seen fly via Bangkok, which is a long way out of our way.

Could anyone please advise me how best to get to these places. I would hate to miss out on Cambodia, but at over $800 per person, it's much too expensive.

Thank you

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Siem Reap to Hoi An

Hi

From Guilin to Siemreap: Try Air Asia. You will need to fly to Kuala Lumpur first then Siem Reap.

From Siem Reap to Danang: try Vietnam Airlines from SR to Saigon. Then take Jetstar from Saigon to Danang.

It would cost you around 400$ to 500$ in total depends if the airlines have promo on the date you fly. Good luck!

san leandro
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Siem Reap to Hoi An

We had the same dilemma with our upcoming trip. Flights between Siem Reap and Da Nang were too expensive for us, although the flight from Saigon to Da Nang was very reasonable ($50 each or even less). So, we are taking the bus from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh (about 5/6 hours I think) and spending a couple of nights there. Then we take an early morning bus from PP to Saigon and fly out that evening to Da Nang. It takes a little more time, but it sounds like Phnom Penh is worth seeing, so we didn't mind spending a couple of days there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Siem Reap to Hoi An

You can fly from Phnom penh to HCM or take a bus.

Look at travefish website

Also check my trip reports with pictures and tips for more ideas.

travelpod.com/travel-blog/smittee/1/tpod.html

Hoi An
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Siem Reap to Hoi An

there is a Silkair flight directly from Siem Reap to Da Nang airport, but it is expensive around 380 usd/pax, ( not sure, you can check on their website ).

Other way, you can take a bus from Siem Reap to Sai Gon and then from Sai gon take a jetstar to Da Nang, continue to take a bus to Hoi An within 45 minute.

Have a good trip

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
38 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Siem Reap to Hoi An

Thank you all very much for your replies. What a fantastic site this is!

We have booked flights from Guilin to Kuala Lumpur (staying for 2 nights) and then Kuala Lumpur to Siem Reap and that worked out much cheaper. I would like to book Silk air to Da Nang, but the operating days don't work out for us.

Therefore, we are down to either flying with Vietnam Airlines to HCMC ($235 + taxes) and then onto Da Nang ( I really didn't want to spend that much), or going by boat from Phnom Penh or by bus.

We will be travelling with our 12 year old son. Would the boat or bus journey be too much for a child?

Can you take suitcases on the boat?

How safe are the boats and buses?

Thank you very much

6. Re: How to get from Siem Reap to Hoi An

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, October 04, 2012