We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Further to my query about overnighting Hue

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Further to my query about overnighting Hue

As suggested we will probably make the trip to Danang/Hue a 2 day affair. My questions now are (1) Do we arrange a driver for the 2 days or for one and negotiate with another for the return trip to Hoi An. (2) Would it be better to get an agent in Hoi An to arrange it together with accommodation or book it ourselves. (3) We will be there in late October and know it is the wet season, so I presume off season for that area, so would we be able to book it at the last minute when in Hoi An, Thanks for any guidance you can give me

Mentioned in this post
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
1. Re: Further to my query about overnighting Hue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:40 am, October 17, 2010
North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Further to my query about overnighting Hue

Can you give me an approximate cost of a car with driver Hoi An to Hue and return staying overnight also aa cost if we stayed 2 nights

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hue
Hue
North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Further to my query about overnighting Hue

Oops I also meant to ask how long is the drive without stopping at Marble Mountain, as we would only need to stop there on either the outward or return trip

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,937 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Further to my query about overnighting Hue

Marlene,

As Vietnamdrive is in the care hire business in Hoi An he's bound to advise that you hire a car and driver for the full 2 days!

If you opt to organise each leg separately, for the journey to Hue via the scenic route over the Hai Van Pass and stopping at various points along the way for quite some time, a realistic rate is $50-65. For the return journey you could take the direct route through the tunnel (about 2.5 hours) - I've heard of people paying as little as $45 for that. In Hue itself you could either join group tours (very cheap) or hire a car and driver there - your hotel would be able to organise both.

Bear those prices in mind if you happen to receive unsolicited quotes via PMs, which incidentally is against the TM rules and a reportable offence.

As for a hotel in Hue, if you have a particular one in mind it would be best to book in advance to avoid missing out. If not it will no doubt be possible to book a room at the last minute - there are many hotels in Hue and - apart from particularly popular ones or those which cater to large tour groups - most are never fully booked.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hai Van Pass
Hai Van Pass
476 Reviews
Phu Tho, Vietnam
Hue
Hue
North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Further to my query about overnighting Hue

Thanks creakingbones for your help

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
24,011 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Further to my query about overnighting Hue

You could also book a car for the trip to Hue taking the Hai Van Pass, then take the train back as far as Da Nang then car the rest of the way to Hoi An. The train journey is also very scenic, being cut into the mountainside about halfway up and having a lovely view of the sea. (It's kind of fun if you're sitting toward one end to watch the other end of the train two curves back :-) )

If you're worried about luggage on the train you can take an overnight bag to Hue and back and arrange for your Hoi An hotel to look after the rest, but we managed fine with our luggage, one larger piece and a carry on each.

Mentioned in this post
Hai Van Pass
Hai Van Pass
476 Reviews
Phu Tho, Vietnam
Da Nang
Da Nang
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hue
Hue
Hanoi, Vietnam
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Further to my query about overnighting Hue

High chance it is gonna be real wet in Oct, and worse, you can be stucked in Danang/Hoi An because of storms. So why not just wait until last minute to book the transfer, you may not wait until the end, but 3-5 days before the date when you already know the weather forecast!

I agree with CB, Hotel in Hue should be booked in advance if you want to stay in a specific one. There are so many new hotels opening up last and this year in Hue so I dont think Hue hotels are gonna be fully booked anyway.

If you dont know which one to choose yet, I would recommend Villa Hue, a beautiful French style boutique accommodation in the center of the city. The hotel is also under the Hue tourism administration control helping the tourism students to practice their skills. Great spacious rooms. Need to book in advance since they only have 12 rooms.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hue
Hue
8. Re: Further to my query about overnighting Hue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 05, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Hoi An