We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tailoring experiences

SINGAPORE
Level Contributor
273 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tailoring experiences

Have just returned fr Hoi An - as greatly benefitted from advice of fellow forummers, would like to share my experiences for tailoring :

1) There are tonnes of tailors everywhere = some of them belong to same owner who may have several shops at different places. Sometimes under same name, sometimes diff names

2) Best to allow at least 24 hours for collection and also some extra time for alterations - tailoring is personal service and it will be difficult to get good fit for 1st time experience

3) Try 2 diff tailors if you have time and choose the best to do the bulk of your stuff eventually - if you have time - everyone has their favorites/recommendations and it is difficult to know which is best for you

4) For suits - the material is quite standard and should not have much problems. But otherwise, the material selection range esp for females are limited. So may want to consider to bring your own cloth material - best to presoak them first to ensure doesn;t shrink later on

5) Be specific abt details - need lining, seams sewn, length and type of sleeves , length of hem etc

Prob best if you bring a favorite dress/pants that fits well to copy pattern. For lining - there is limited selection so may wish to bring own. One tailor i tried used the material I provided for dress to make the lining as well instead of proper lining material cos claimed that I only said lining and thot it meant using same cloth since I had extra material - i had to pay extra to remove the lining cos it fit funny and felt bulky. Unhappy experience

6) Buttons - limited selection of buttons available there. So if you are particular - buy your own and bring along

Happy tailoring

HoiAn
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tailoring experiences

exactly !

:)

2. Re: Tailoring experiences

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 04, 2010