We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam Typhoon 2005

Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Vietnam Typhoon 2005

Given recent typhoon, how badly have areas such as Hoi An been affected. Is there an increased risk of disease. How many people are displaced. Booked to travel early next year - wondering whether to cancel trip to Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi. I have visited Vietnam before.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Hue
Hue
Thua Thien - Hue Province, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hanoi Vietnam
Level Contributor
963 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam Typhoon 2005

Typhoons happen here every year and the Vietnamese know how to handle it.

There is only one place I know of that has been effected badly this year and that is the Van Chai resort in Thanh Hoa province.

There is no reason to worry about traveling at the time you've booked.

Martin

Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam Typhoon 2005

Dear Alexandra

I live in Hoi An and know first hand what's going on.

While the typoon was strong it did not cause any permanent damage what so ever. Hotels in the beach had to evacuate but brought their guests back the following morning.

Clean up work was fast and now you hardly see a typoon has hit at all - I guess the locals here are used to this kind of situations and know how to handle it.

regards - Norbert

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Toronto,Canada
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam Typhoon 2005

We were in Hoi An when the typhoon hit. Our hotel did not lose power but the whole town did. The next day things were up and running in the town. Our custom made shirts and skirts were ready and life went on as usual. They are used to it apparently and handled everything with a smile.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An