We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passports and visas

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
185 posts
1 review
Save Topic
passports and visas

we are staying at elios hotel and hoi an hotel. i have sometimes heard that hotels want you to leave passport with them during your stay. i thought you had to carry them with you at all times. i will show them originals. and have copies made. Is this a problem or not.

Brisbane Region...
Level Contributor
23 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passports and visas

Not a problem, we didn't even show our originals just handed the copies for them to record our details. They just need to register your stay with authorities that's the reason for needing your passport/visa details.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passports and visas

Normally they just photocopy your passport and enter the details in a register.

In Vietnam you cannot fly internally without your passport and probably a good idea to carry it or a copy with you at all times.

Mentioned in this post
Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
131 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passports and visas

Some places, such as the delightful Ha An Hotel at Hoi An and the Bamboo Hotel at Sapa did want to keep our passports, while others only wanted the details. They appear to lock them in a safe anyway when they have them and we had photcopies on us also, so it wasn't a problem.

Mentioned in this post
Ha An Hotel
Ha An Hotel
1,625 Reviews
Hoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
4. Re: passports and visas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 18, 2010