We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

Which Hoi An hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

I will like to hire a car + driver to bring us from Hoi An to Hue and then back to Hoi An via Hai Van Pass in 1 day. However, I am not sure where I can hire a car and driver. Please give some advice and the rough cost.

Given the short time, what are the must-see sights in Hue and along the way?

I am also interested to visit My Son and will like to join a day tour (or half day). Where are the day tour operators located in Hoi An (are they all in one place)? I read from a travel blog that some operator only bring you near My Son and you have to walk about 2km to get to the site where you will see the Cham site. Is this true? How can I avoid signing up with such tours?

Thank you so much.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,924 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

I'm not sure a day trip to Hue will be worth it as it's about a 4 hour drive in either direction, so 8 hours on the road, which doesn't leave much time for seeing anything. If you stop to see anything along the way (we think the Cham Museum in Da Nang is worth an hour or so, and the Marble Mountians are pretty coo) you're pretty well sunk. Could you plan to overnight in Hue?

Your hotel can organise a car and driver for you, or any of a myriad of travel agencies scattered around the place. Viet Nam is a can-do country. Similarly they can organise your trip to My Son.

The buses HAVE to park about 2km back from the site, so if you go on a group tour you're stuck with it. However, the car park for private cars is about 1km closer, so if you take a private tour, which is more expensive but IMO better in that you can go when you want (early is better as they have a free show of Cham dancing at about 9.30am/10am) and not be trawling around in a crowd, you don't have to walk quite so far.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

HI

From Hoian-Hue: about 145 km, on the way you can visit the Marble mountain and Cham Museum. In Hue, Citadel and some tombs are must-see.

Half day to Myson is ok. one hour drive to MySon, 2 hour visit and one hour back

Best regards

Vivutravel

Tasmania
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

Hi

Hoi An to Hue and back in one day is not ideal but your hotel will be able to organise a driver. Alternatively Ha at Vietland Discovery is based in Danang and seems helpful. Haven't used her yet but have been doing some planning for next year.

Email address is :info@discovervietnam.com.vn

Agree with YorkFoodie. Private trip to My Son arriving earlier than tours is a good way to go. Our hotel organised driver last year for $25 US.

Singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

Thank you all for the advice. It has been most helpful.

5. Re: From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:51 am, December 06, 2008
6. Re: From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:51 am, December 06, 2008
Newyork
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

Hi there

- From Hoian visit My son 1day tour go with group tour about 20USD/ 1pax and then from Hoian to Hue bye Bus

- Hotel in Hoian : Van loi Hotel is good choice

Cheers

8. Re: From Hoi An to Hue and My Son

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 3:26 pm, October 12, 2009