We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant at Victoria beachside resort

Port Lincoln South...
3 posts
Save Topic
Elephant at Victoria beachside resort

This is going to sound like a silly question to some but...

On Vic Beachside Resort website they show pictures of an elephant that gets around by the pool. I'm kind of against this and was wondering if it was still around because if it is I would choose not to stay there.

Anyone been there recently and can answer this???

nsw
Level Contributor
784 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant at Victoria beachside resort

Hi there

Can i ask why you are against it?

We were in Phuket last yr & did an elephant trek & those guys loved their elephants. they lived up in the mountains with them & cared for them, it was beautiful. We looked to do a trek in Vietnam but couldnt find one except in Dalat & we werent going there so we missed out.

Most of the animal handlers love & care for their pets

Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant at Victoria beachside resort

Stayed at the Victoria resort about 1 week ago and did not see an elephant anywhere. I was going to ask reception about that but didn't have the time. I wouldn't stress about having an elephant on the resort, it is just a marketing strategy the resort have.

Port Lincoln South...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant at Victoria beachside resort

I don't have a huge problem with the trekking elephants living in the mountains and I have seen first hand how well they are cared for, albeit it's still a bit of a dilemma for me.

But an elephant that is used as a gimmick by a resort and spends it's days next to a pool is hardly in the same league.

I'm sure it is really well cared for too, I just don't believe elephants belong poolside!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
293 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant at Victoria beachside resort

We have been staying at The Victoria since 2001 where we first saw and watched with amazement the gorgeous elephant "Darling" ,live what appeared to be a very peaceful and happy life. He died quite a few years ago and they haven't replaced him. He has a square named after him at the resort to honour the work he did after the Tsunami. I'm not sure in what capacity Darling was used but perhaps in some cleaning up capacity? I have fond memories of him having baths and being fed at different times during the day by the resort's manager. He was well looked after and didnt appear to be poorly treated. In fact we have just reurned last week from the Victoria in Hoi An and found it to be, as always, a fantastically well run and well organized piece of heaven in the middle of Vietnam. I couldn't recommend the place highly enough and would not support the place if I suspected animal maltreatment ( which I have seen in Thailand). Feel free to ask me about the resort, which my kids and I love if you want any more info.

Port Lincoln South...
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant at Victoria beachside resort

Thanks for the info Woolly.

My views are not widely shared i know, but they are mine, and i'll stick with them.

I have heard some good things about the resort too and will caertainly consider it

6. Re: Elephant at Victoria beachside resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 30, 2009