We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

Is staying on the beach in Hoi An second week of September foolish?

I have booked a beachfront honeymoon villa at the Victoria which I am guessing is as on the beach as it gets and am concerned from previous posts regarding dangerous monsoon weather that there may be huge waves crashing into the room. Periods of heavy rain I can cope with, but anything extreme doesn’t fit the idyllic honeymoon picture! We have snorkelling gear with us but don’t want to have to wear it in the room (not that kinky!).

Many thanks,

Ont Travel Hoi An
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Day Trips
Hoi An Private Car
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Scuba & Snorkeling, Food Tours, Bike Tours
ASA Travel
Scuba & Snorkeling, City Tours
Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

Particularly concerned after recent posts, compared to others who don't have anywhere to live or shelter my issue pales into insignificance however would still appreciate it if anyone could offer a view on how dangerous Hoi An beach front is and possible alternatives (back to Thailand or elsewhere in VN or SE Asia) please as I am running out of time to re plan honeymoon.

Many thanks,

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Level Contributor
204 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

The beach at Hoi An is very large with an enormous stretch of sand between the sea and the properties.

The sea is pretty calm and the waves minimal.

There is no way that I could see waves getting anywhere near the beach front villas. It would have to be a tsunami to get that far.

You'll be fine.

Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

Cua Dai is hardly Bells Beach,youll be fine.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

Thanks for the replies and assurances chaps.

In general is Hoi An still worth going to if it rains 24hrs for the 3 days we are there?

Thanks again.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

Even if it's rainy Hoi An is a nice place to visit. Hotels there tend to be very comfortable with great staffs. They tend to be very resorceful with keeping their guests happy and entertained. We had some rain during our visit but I hardly remember because If it rains, just slip into one of the many cafes or restaurants and watch the world go by. Talk to other tourists or localsm many of whom speak English. It's a nice relaxing town regardless of weather.

Hanoi
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

Last year the storm was really hit all the beach front resort of Hoi An from China beach to Cua Dai.

However it rare and maynot happend without a forecast.

Enjoy your Honeymoon in Victoria, sure you will be fine even it's moon soon time, the weather is changing every year and luck always come for happy couple :-)

australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

We too will be in Hoi An around the same time.

I was interested to read the replies to your post. we are staying at Ancient House Resort, which is on the river. I think we could be in a worse position due to rising waters from the river.

No matter what the weather is like you will be on your honeymoon and sure to have a great time.

Perhaps we will see you there.

CRB-CXR/VVCR, Khanh...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

Kirby319:

You said: "The beach at Hoi An is very large with an enormous stretch of sand between the sea and the properties."

The distance is not that great and seemingly the storm took little notice when it inflicted serious on the Furama property of 'China Beach' as well as many houses well inland in the Da Nang region.

Sethlad2

You said: "Cua Dai is hardly Bells Beach, youll (sic) be fine."

Maybe not but this region has hundreds of years of history showing bad storms hit this area.

CaronJoy:

Roads and streets turning into rivers happens so commonly that such incidents usually don't make the news. The biggest problem is that the sewer waters rise and mix with the water on the street making for a very unhealthy "brew".

[mosquitobait (at) fastmail.cn]

Mentioned in this post
Da Nang
Da Nang
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Australia
Level Contributor
222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

Darlek,the history of your country may be fascinating but the question was: "Will huge waves crash into the room?"

Do you have previous examples of Cua Dai beachfront rooms being flooded by tidal waves? If so,then its worth mentioning them.

If not,then the answer is still "you'll be fine".

If you travel in Vn at that time then you know what to expect.

Storms are one thing,tsunamis crashing into Hoi An beach resorts is hardly likely.

Oil spill maybe but tidal waves,no!!!

10. Re: Hoi An beachfront villa dangerous in Monsoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, September 07, 2009