We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Hoi An

Tassie
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Restaurants in Hoi An

Part of our reason for traveling to Vietnam is to experience the food. My daughter is a chef and consequently very interested in experiencing all types of cuisine so we wondered if there were some recommendations for a "must try" restaurant in Hoi An. We will be there for 5 days so we have time to try a few places.

Some that I have researched include

Thi Nhan (128 Cua Dai, Carn Chau) - seafood I think

Mermaid (72 Tran Phu, Hoi An Old Town)

Bong Hang Trang (533 Hai Ba Trung)

Pha Cafe

Cafe 19

Mango Rooms

Comments on any of these? If the restaurant scene is anything like it is in Aus then they may come and go fairly quickly - and vary according to the current chef so I would value any recent experience.

BTW - they don't have to be Vietnamese food. In fact it might be good to have a change as we will already have tried quite a few restaurants in Hanoi etc.

Thanks

ekidna

Australia
Level Contributor
698 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

When in Hoi An, try Cao Lau, a specialty of the town. For a change , try Good Morning for Italian fare,avoid the restaurants along the river except Cafe des Amis.But last time i was there the cafe was empty at 6:00 pm so we gave it a missed. The very last time we ate there was 2003 and it not too good as Lonely Planet said: food was ok but a bit salty for our taste.

CRB-CXR/VVCR, Khanh...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

The Banana Leaf on the bottom of Le Loi (67) has the genuine article as far as VN food is concerned.

Avoid the Vinh Hung Restaurant, they can't even make coffee.

Out at Cua Dai beach the beach restaurant, last but one, on the end nearest the Palms Resort has great, fresh seafood.

Another good restaurant in Hoi An is the classic Chinese design restaurant opposite the Thien Trung Hotel at 129 Tran Hung Dao.

I don't believe people actually follow the Lonely Planet for food - it just means their 'reviewer' has scored a free meal (or something more) from the owner. I saw the LP reviewer operating in Hue a couple of months ago where he enters and announces that he's from LP and then waits for all the free food, etc.

Australia
Level Contributor
698 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

Darlek, I dont think Vietnamese stupid yet they 're smart enough to not falling that trap.They know that someone will declare that they are from Lonely Planet' team and asked for free meal. According to our info so who we the travellers beleive to?? LP at least give us a guide then we have to experience to ourself:And you alway said that LP is out of dated ( Agree with you) some grap a frommers which is just release!! Tell me when it release?? I checked the Frommers' site and I could put my hand on a copy til' next March!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

We ate at Mermaid early this year,food was good & staff were very efficient.As to how authentic,no idea but it was very fresh & we were there for quite a while chatting to the young staff.

Was a fair bit of construction nearby (Feb07) so it would have been easy to miss though.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
204 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

Having just spent 8 days at Hoi An where we ate out every meal, always at some place different I can honestly say that we never had a bad meal. Every place has their specialty.

We had particularly good meals at:

Cargo Club

Faifoo

Sao Mai

Goda

and a very special mention to:

Shree Ganesh (formerly Oscars) for their awesome curries and breads.

You cant go wrong in Hoi An where we found that all restaurants take real pride in their dishes.

CRB-CXR/VVCR, Khanh...
Level Contributor
846 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

HongLam:

You said:" I dont think Vietnamese stupid yet they 're smart enough to not falling that trap.They know that someone will declare that they are from Lonely Planet' team and asked for free meal. "

I have now seen the self-same researcher in operation twice this year - has business cards proclaiming the fact, too. I even talked to the guy and he certainly appeared to be what he claimed he was.

Guess the boat with the new Frommers is still en route. I acquired a copy in Europe - last month.

LP was the guidebook that had the train from Ha Noi to BeiJing via KunMing running for 4 years after the line was destroyed by a landfall. And of course, there was the great hotel in the Philippines that was promo's for a number of years ... after it had been destroyed by fire!

Sudney
Level Contributor
40 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

I can recommend the Brothers Cafe. Its on the road next to the river but on the other side of the market passed the bridge. It doesnt look much from the outside - just a two storey colonial but the eating is on a terrace by the river which you get to by walking through an enchanting garden with fountains and streams.

Foods was very good but expensive by vietnam standards - I think we paid $60USD for 4.

There is a Brothers somewhere in hanoi.

Mermaid was also recommended.

Benemax

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

Brothers is in the same street as Ha An hotel.

It just reeked of a tourist trap so I refused to eat there,there were plenty of busses outside but I have to say it is a delightful setting for a qiuiet drink by the river once the crowds have gone.

Magnificent old building beautifully restored.

Tassie
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

Thanks guys,

From this list I am sure we will be well fed!

ekidna

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,831 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Hoi An

yes, seth, their building in Hanoi is very lovely also- beautifully done.