We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic in Montevideo

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
50 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic in Montevideo

We are planning to arrive evening December 23rd in Montevideo and hire a car at the airport. What is traffic density like about 6 - 7pm? It is our first visit to Uruguay and we are not very familiar with driving on the right. Our Spanish is also very limited.

Would it be more advisable to take a taxi to the hotel downtown and collect the car the following morning? Thankyou

Montevideo
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic in Montevideo

I think you would be better off getting a taxi into the centre of town, particularly if you're not familiar with driving on the right. You can find out more about getting around the city here:

uruguaynow.com/getting_around_montevideo.php

Enjoy Uruguay!

Nick

La Paloma, Uruguay
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic in Montevideo

Hi UkChristine

If you are interested in the taxi option, I was at the airport yesterday and saw this taxi company in the arrivals hall (this is the official airport taxi)

http://www.taxisaeropuerto.com/en/index.html

There are prices and info on the website. From the very centre of the city to the airport is around 20kms (12 miles). Yesterday it took us around 40 minutes in peak hour traffic to get from the Ciudad Vieja to the airport, but I noticed the traffic on the other side wasn't as bad.

Otherwise, if you are going to drive (it would still be very light at that time of night), it would depend on where you are staying as to how complicated it would be. If you were staying in Pocitos or Punta Carretas, you could take the Rambla, otherwise, if you were in the city, you could still take the Rambla (which is more scenic) or otherwise it would be Avenida Italia.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Uruguay!

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
50 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic in Montevideo

Thankyou both for your helpful advice and links

4. Re: Traffic in Montevideo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 04, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Colonia del Sacramento