We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June Trip Report - Colonia

Which Colonia del Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
June Trip Report - Colonia

I booked our Buquebus tickets online. Per someone’s suggestion, I kept the web site in Spanish, and I saved about $20/person. Another wonderful suggestion: rent a Thrifty golf cart. Yes, the gas fumes can get a little overwhelming, but we had so many laughs that it didn’t matter.

We climbed the steps of the lighthouse for a wonderful view, visited the Historico Barrio, shopped for some necklaces at Mundo Mineral (by the gate to the Old City), and “drove” out to the beaches. It also gave us a chance to see several of the beautiful homes in the area. We went back to the main avenue for a relaxing dinner and headed to the terminal about an hour before our departure.

All of us agreed that this day excursion from Buenos Aires was worth it – highly recommended!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

einstein2 - did you feel like you needed more than one day in Colonia? Also, did you notice any hotels that you would recommend in Colonia?

Thanks for the trip report - looks like we'll be stopping at Mundo Mineral!

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
504 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

Congratulations! It seems you have done just the right choises in stores, restaurantes and fun stuf to do to enjoy the day in Colonia. If you´ve stayed overnight, for sure you´d have seen also the charmant little colonial posadas Colonia has.

But reading your report I can see you´ve spent a great day here, and I´m glad.

Uruguay
Destination Expert
for Colonia del Sacramento
Level Contributor
504 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

Choice

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

I thought a day trip was just right. We took the fast ferry that left BA at 11:30am and returned at 8pm. Since you should arrive at the port an hour before you leave, it was a full day.

The only hotel we saw was a Sheraton, and it is still being built.

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
120 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

Appreciate your post as we plan to do this as a day trip as well. My wife broke her leg last November and while she has recovered the golf cart suggestion is one I think she will like.

Do you need to arrive at the departure site in Buenos Aires early? I had been told I should get to the site at least thirty minutes before departure.

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

Yes, we arrived at the port in Puerto Madero an hour early, but I'm sure you would be fine being there 30 minutes early. The lines seemed to move quickly.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

einstein2 - Do you know if there is a fast ferry later in the day?

We are planning to spend the morning and early afternoon in BA, then travel to Colonia in the late afternoon for a little sightseeing and dinner - stay overnight in Colonia and spend the following day sightseeing in Colonia. Hopefully we will find a hotel that will hold our luggage while we explore Colonia, and then we will use a rental car to travel on to Montevideo.

I like the golf cart suggestion - sounds like a lot of fun. Any suggestions on how to best use our time in Colonia would be appreciated.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
224 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

Check the Buquebus Website for various departure times

http://www.buquebus.com/cache/HomeARG.html

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
224 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

Valerie ~ are you really set on renting a car & driving to Montevideo?

Its a nice, easy drive to Montevideo, but once you get into Montevideo, if your not used to it, you'll be in big trouble! I would avoid driving in the city, unless you are familiar with the streets, where you are going & the way Uruguayans drive.

You would be so much better taking a bus to MVD, then catching a cab @ the TresCruces bus station to your hotel or destination. Cabs are cheap.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: June Trip Report - Colonia

ripley - thank you for the link. We are familiar with driving in Montevideo although it's been a while. My husband is from Uruguay, but has never been to Colonia - that's why were are spending time in BA, traveling to Colonia, and then to Montevideo. There will be 6 of us traveling together and we are going to rent a van.

It's funny because the first time I went to Uruguay with my husband (many years ago), I was doing research and we went to several places that he didn't think about showing me at first.

We are traveling with our kids plus spouses. Having the van will be great because when we travel to Punta, we can stop to show them several other beaches along the way and I love Carlos Paez Villaro's paintings at Casapueblo, so that's another definite stop.

Thank you for your help.