We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

Which Colonia del Sacramento hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

we are planning to visit Colonia for the day, then hope to catch a ferry to Buenos Aires on the evening of Sunday October 26th. Can it be done from Colonia. If so, what is their schedule and how can we purchase tickets in advance. thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

Did the custom check yellow fever vaccine certification required when entering Colonia via Buenos Aires?

Thanks

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
267 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

I am not quite understanding your plans. Are you already in Uruquay, travelling to Colonia and then to Buenos Aires? Colonia is really small and a lot of fun to walk around. There are lots of good restaurants there and we stayed at a great hotel, quite inexpensive.

We travelled to Colonia from Montevideo one day, spent the afternoon and evening there and travelled the next day in the early afternoon to Buenos Aires.

It is definitely doable in 1 day. The trip is little over 1 hour. Actually there was a cab strike that day when we arrived back in Buenos Aires and I think it took us longer to get a taxi.

I booked it on this website. I had a lot of trouble doing so in English but it worked in Spanish. I used google translate to understand what I was doing.

buquebus.com/BQBWeb/servlet/com.buquebus.web…

Hope this helps

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

There is no requirement for the yellow fever certificate when entering Argentina from Uruguay. I travel with one in South America but have only had to show it when entering Bolivia.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

how advanced do i need to buy the ticket? i am planing to take the ferry form Buenos Aires to Colonia (round trip) on Oct 10 or 11 (sat, sun). i will be arriving Buenos Aires on Oct 9. Will I have problem buy it once I arrived at BA?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
17 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

I am entering Uruguay from Argentina.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

You can visit the downtown office or purchase it at the terminal. If at the terminal, you should get in line several hours before sailing just to get through the purchase line, security (not as strict as an airport) and immigration (depart Argentina/enter Uruguay - the desks are side by side in the BA terminal building).

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
267 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

I can't answer whether it is okay to wait. I booked it on the their website in Spanish (used google translate to understand what I was doing - I think I copied and pasted) and was successful in buying it in advance. I printed my ticket and everything went smoothly. One thing to remember - when you leave Argentina for Uruguay they give you some time of paper that you need when you return - otherwise it costs money to come back. I remember this well as our daughter had her own and had packed it in her suitcase. Luckily she was able to retrieve it luggage on the way back - they were under construction and manually accepting our suitcase.

18. Re: ferry from Colonia to Buenos Aires

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 30, 2010