We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bin Majid Beach Resort

Marsascala, Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bin Majid Beach Resort

Wanted a quiet beach holiday outside Dubai

Just have some questions please , is this resort totally remote or can you walk to other hotels / restaraunts /shops

Can we get a taxi from outside the airport or book with the resort ?

Anybody stayed here there are some ok and some bad reviews , any tips much appreciated

intend to go into Dubai for one day , bus or taxi

will it be warm end of march begining April ? enough to swim ?

many thanks :)

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

Hi Ange, The Bin Majid Beach Resort is south of Ras al Khaimah and a little isolated. There are no restaurants/shops/hotels within walking distance. Your nearest would be The Al Hamra Fort Hotel complex maybe a 20AED taxi ride. A taxi from the airport would cost around 200AED. You would not be able to catch a bus from there. You would need to take a taxi to the bus station In Ras al Khaimah (40AED) and then get the bus to Dubai (25AED) or you could just get a taxi to Dubai for around 100AED depending where you want to go. Most hotels run a courtesy bus into Dubai once a week. The temperature here at the moment is around 28' and by the end of the month will be very pleasant. For me the sea is still cold but there are plenty of visitors swimming. It is getting warmer everyday. Do not get confused between The Bin Majid Hotel and the Bin Majid Beach Resort. they are different places.

I see you are from Marsascala....I used to live in Birzebuggia !!

Edited: 2:19 am, March 08, 2012
Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

Ange, you made me curious so I called in here today for a look around. Did not see inside the rooms but the hotel grounds and reception area was good. Staff very helpful. The pool area looked nice with a "swim-up" bar in the main pool. The beach area was nice although the water looked a little "milky". This may be due to the rough seas we have had recently although I have to say in general that the sea is much clearer in Malta than around the UAE. They run a shuttle bus into Dubai twice weekly at a cost of 100AED per person. They also run a shuttle bus into Ras al Khaimahs' Manar Mall most evenings. Your nearest hotel/resort is Al Hamra Fort Hotel which is around a 4.5k walk or they will call a taxi for you. There is also a shopping mall at Al Hamra and they sometimes send a shuttle bus to the resort. Most of the guests are eastern european/Russian. It did not look busy even though I was told the hotel was full.

Marsascala, Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

Many thanks for the replies , any good tips for things to do ?

Thanks alot for your help

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

Ange, I have to sat that the "charms" of Ras al Khaimah are not always obvious to the visitor. There are no "iconic" buildings or huge shopping malls it is more about the "local" way of life. Ras al Khaimah is a working town where over the past 5/6 years there has been some development....some good and some bad!!! You really need to rent a car to see it properly (driving here is easy and nothing like the mayhem of Dubai). I did notice quite a few rental cars in the car park of the resort. There was also a "trips desk" in reception but I did not see what was on offer. Have a look at this link: rakpedia.com/whats-on/one-day-in-rak.html

but also look at the "sightseeing" section on the same web-site.

You should just catch the end of the camel racing season, unfortunately it will mean an early rise on a Friday morning as the races start around 7am! You will need a taxi or rental car to get there. I would recommend a trip to Mussandam which is to the north of RAK and in fact across the Oman border. Once out of RAK you will pass through villages with cows and goats roaming the streets. Once across the border there is a lovely drive hugging the coastline to the town of Khasab where you can take a trip on a traditional boat (dhow) into the fiords where there is lovely scenery and a good chance of seeing white dolphins. This extract is from a post from someone who made the trip from Dubai:

" In addition, we rented a car and drove to Musandam, Oman. It was one of the best experiences of my life - I just absolutely loved it. It is about a 3 hour drive to Kashab (two hours to the border) but very easy. I got a car with GPS which was really helpful. The scenery is amazing, the people are very friendly and the entire day was outstanding. Every turn is a new and incredible picture opportunity. I would highly recommend: Dhow cruise (buy at the Golden Tulip Hotel), lunch at the Golden Tulip, and walking around the unique city of Kashab. There is tons of history here".

Edited: 1:39 am, March 09, 2012
Marsascala, Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

Thanks again for the great info

another question please...

i am tempted to pick up a hire car at the airport to save on taxxi transfers and to have the use of the car throughout the stay , it works out alot cheaper , would you advise this

would it be easy to drive from the airport to our resort , also would it be ok to drive into Dubai or wouldnt you recommend it ?

also the ciost of meals in hotels i believe that drinks are very expensive so we plan on buying some booze at the airport and taking it to the hotel , this is ok to do ?

Many thanks again

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

Picking a car up from the airport may put you off driving for the rest of the holiday !!!!! You will of course be driving on the "wrong" side of the road. If the car has GPs it may help but Ras al Khaimah is not signposted from the airport. In fact you do not see sign for RAK until you are on the Emirates Road and almost in Sharjah. Once on The Emirates Road it is very easy and straightforward. I am picking someone up this Thursday so will try and memorise some directions for you. Most of the hire cars I saw in the hotel car park were locally rented. Personally I would use the hotel bus for a visit into Dubai.

Yes you can buy (4 litres I believe) at Duty Free after you have picked up your luggage although in theory it is illegal to carry it as you pass through Sharjah (Sharia Law). I would not worry too much about this as strangely there are 3 "bottle shops" located near Bin Majid Beach resort where you can buy alcohol even cheaper than in Duty Free. I was visiting a "bottle shop" when I called into the hotel for a look around!!!!! There is a "bottle shop" near the resort called "Barracuda" where all the ex=pats from Dubai come to buy booze as strangely there are no bottle shops in Dubai!!!!

Dubai
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

But there are bottle shops in Dubai, it's just that you need a licence to purchase there and they charge 30% tax.

Marsascala, Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

Again thanks for the reply

i have driven a car from France down to Malt , aslo driven in Spain and the US so not ultra green and i think that you soon get used to it , still cant decide as the Oman trip seems cheaper to do a tour rather than pay the border fee and the extra insurance , then Dubai by taxi or bus , makes it not worth while hiring the car , getting very excited about our trip now :)

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

As you say you soon get used to it but some of the driving here is some of the most aggressive I have ever seen !!!!!! If you can get a tour company to do the trip to Mussandam then great. Just make sure they are going to Khasab and not Dibba. Dibba is "technically" in Oman but there are no border fees and the trip is not so good as the Khasab trip. Some operators "forget" to mention the border fees for the Khasab trip until you are at the border !!!! Weather still a bit windy but warming up every day.

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bin Majid Beach Resort

Bedou Girl, I think "technically" you are supposed to have a licence here as well...it is just ignored.

Edited: 8:58 am, March 10, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Ras Al Khaimah