We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Al Ain Zoo visit

Which Al Ain hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Al Ain Zoo visit

The Al Ain Wildlife Park & Resort website says the zoo will continue to greet visitors until the end of 2010. It will then become a "behind the scenes" facility for conservation and research, while the AWPR will open its gates and welcome its guests.

Has anyone been to the zoo recently? Is it worth a trip? I'm most interested to see the Arabian oryxes and gazelles - are the chances of seeing them 100%?

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Al Ain Zoo visit

Heyyyyyyyyy, just a tip, don't even bother, it's not worth a penny. in 4 years living in abu dhabi, that was the worst experience we had. We went yesterday only & thought it was horrible.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Al Ain Zoo visit

I visited Al Ain Zoo in September 2009 and thought it was OK.

Best place to see oryx and gazelles is Sharjah Wildlife Centre. Better experience than the zoo.

Edited: 5:22 am, August 01, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Al Ain Zoo visit

It is funny.. how we can all have different opinions because I loved the Zoo and thought it was well worth the visit. I particularly l like watching field with Zebra, and giraffes at sunset. It was better than any zoo that I have been to... but then again I'm not a Zoo expert. I liked how it is open at night too... something which isn't the case in Zoos where I'm from.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Al Ain Zoo visit

Dear all, in order to clarify more about why I hate the zoo. We live in Abu Dhabi & we had a really good Brain wash in the media -especially newspapers- about visiting Al Ain Zoo between 4PM till 12A. I thought it was weird but you can't believe their Marketing strategy & have to Congratulate the Marketing Department they have. I'll check secretly who is behind that & will hire them one day. Not believing the 4PM-12AM scenario, i still checked with our hotel reception & they said, best time is 7PM. So we jumped in car & we went there. I have to be honest, we saw 3 or 4 animals & rest were all asleep. The lighting was horrible so I don't understand how can u advertise that when u have light that is not enough to see anything. We went on & on & we never saw anything. All animals were asleep & hiding somewhere. You advertise afternoon/night adventure, u shiuld know animal behavior first. I know this was not true but I still believed them. There was 4 families walking same time like us & they couldn't see anything as well but maybe there were happy from the walk itself:(((( have no clue. I visited Dubai Zoo, which is 1% size of Al Ain but at least I saw rare animals & appreciate them. I visited zoos in Thailand, USA & they are no comparaison. The only animal we saw in real was the lion sculpture at the entrance. The worst part was when i met a department head there & told him what we all felt but the way he handled us "Sorry, let me give u free ticket for next time" who said i need free ticket worth 2 Dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, he than insisted on taking my number for what??? what the heck???? i'm just telling u an opinion. I'm a head of department myself & i know how to handle complain & this guy wanted to know also i'm from where???? I think he was a racist. Who cares I'm from where & who cares about free ticket stupid monkey!!! I;m giving u a tip on how to improve... anyway, trust me, we will never ever go back there. The great Dubai has better things to see & more things to do

Al Ain, United Arab...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Al Ain Zoo visit

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? I'm new to the UAE, but have friends who live in Dubai, and I live in Al Ain. When I told them that I have lived here for 5 months and had not yet been to the zoo they were amazed! "You must go!" they said. So, this week I packed up the three kids (6, 4 and 2) along with a few other expat families in the area and headed to Al Ain Zoo. Everybody LOVED it! We didn't even see the entire zoo. For 25 dhs admission for the 5 of us I decided that we can come back anytime we want, however if I had driven an hour plus from AD or Dubai I would have had no issue with staying longer.

The facilities are top notch. Two years ago I visited the San Diego Wildlife Park and thought that the Al Ain Zoo was on-par with SDWP facilities. Everything looks to be fairly new. Park/Green space is well maintained. Habitats were clean and "habitable" unlike some "zoos" that I've seen which are more like holding pens where cats and primates pace enough to wear down the concrete floors. This was NOTHING like that. Again, I didn't see the whole park. We walked through the big cats section and then rode one of the two free trains around the park. I don't remember seeing trash laying around (I know, that in and of itself is amazing in this country). I HAVE heard that night visits are great in the summer to see the big cats because they are supposedly very active during that time.

I will say that we tried to go during Eid break and turned around in the parking lot. More people then I want to deal with, not to mention what looked like a two plus hour line at the gate. Must be something to see, right?

None of us were disappointed. I will be back again, and again, and again... HIGHLY recommended.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Al Ain Zoo visit

It's good to see you had a nice time there. Perhaps you would be willing to post a review of your visit...

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298061-d1…

7. Re: Al Ain Zoo visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 16, 2013