We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

Missoula, Montana
4 posts
Save Topic
Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

Can anyone help me with info about getting from Budapest to Uzhhorod via train? I've read that there is no direct train, but any info on where to transfer (Chop? Zahony?) and times the trains depart from Budapest would be super helpful. Thanks!

35 replies to this topic
Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
21. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

In Budapest you go to international ticket counter and purchase one through ticket Budapest-Chop (equivalent of 18,4 euro in HUF, valid on any day throughout one month period), then at the domestic ticket counter you purchase seat reservation (815 HUF per person) for InterCity #622 Budapest-Zahony (7:24-11:30) for the day you need. Zahony-Chop cross-border train departs 11:40 (arr. 12:58 Ukrainian time), it waits for Budapest train, so you just need to change fast from one to another (probably you won't be the only one, so just follow the others), no need for any additional ticket on this leg, your Budapest-Chop ticket will cover everything

In Chop minibuses to Uzghorod during the day depart like every 30 min. (stop just in front of the station, taxis will be waiting near by). While next suburban train from Chop to Uzghorod departs 13:18 (meaning only 20 min. after arrival of your train from Zahony), departure is from suburban railway station, which is just next from long-distance railway station, but if you decide to go with a train option, then note that you'll also need to pass border/customs control within this 20 min.

Edited: 4:54 pm, September 02, 2013
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

Thank so very much. You've been very helpful. We may have more questions about this. Should we contact you through this site or in some other way. We are most grateful for your help!

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

Just ask your questions here ;)

This way everybody, including other fellow travelers who might have similar questions, will benefit from the discussion

Los Mochis...
5 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

in chop you can take the bus for 10 hryvnias or the taxi for 100 hryvnias and is really near.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

I appreciate everyone's input on all of this. When we go to the international ticket counter in Budapest (and the domestic counter), where would that be? I am assuming one of the train stations, but which one? Also, is there some site where I can view the train schedules? How early do we need to be at the station to catch the Buda to Zahoney train that leaves at 7:24 AM. (We are definitely neophyte train travelers!)

Europe
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

Domestic and international ticket counters available at all the major stations in Budapest (Keleti, Nyugati, Deli) and also there is ticket desk in the city centre (Attila street)

Train schedules - http://elvira.mav-start.hu (it will also show schedule of Zahony-Chop trains). With catching 7:24am... hmm... 10 minutes in advance should be enough, trains in Hungary aren't long, so it wouldn't take much time to find your carriage

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

Thank you very much!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

Hi! we are thinking of making this same trip this July and are also inexperienced train travelers. Did you make the trip? how did the logistics work out?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

We ended up having a guide from Uzhgorod pick us up at the Budapest airport and drive back to Uzhgorod - took about 2 hours. We decided not to use the train b/c the times were very inconvenient (involving middle of the night transfers at the border). It's hard enough traveling in a country where we didn't know the language, but then having to switch trains in the dark, when we were jet lagged just didn't make it for us. Our guide was great so if you decide to use a guide, let me know. Among other venues, we traveled with our guide thru the Carpathian mountains, to many very small villages over several days. It was quite a trip!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod

Yes, I would very much like to hear more about your experience - that is another option were are considering and we will need a guide/driver once we are in Zakarpattya anyway because we want to visit some ancestral villages. How did you find your guide?

Reply to: Train from Budapest to Uzhhorod
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Uzhhorod
More Uzhhorod Topics