We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed visit to Chernivtsi

Which Chernivtsi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Adelaide, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Proposed visit to Chernivtsi

Hello! I am new to this list and am looking for advice.

I am planning a trip to the Ukraine in April next year and foremost want to visit the birthplace of my father in Chernivtsi as well as spend some time in Kiev and possibly Lviv.

Not sure how much time to allow in each city as time is limited.

Upon arrival in Kiev, we are thinking of taking the train from Kiev to Chernivtsi. A visit to the archives is essential - I already have some copies of vital records from filmed church records that I have accessed through Family Search. I intend writing to the archives in advance to advise them of my requirements with regard to records.

Not sure of the protocol for visiting the archives in Chernivtsi and how quickly one can get records.

A trip to visit some nearby villages that are of significance is also planned and we are hoping that we will be able to engage an English speaking guide/driver to take us there.

I would value accommodation suggestions please for Chernivtsi - I see that there are several to choose from.

I have yet to ascertain what hotel my travel agent will recommend.

Not sure how many days to allocate to staying in Chernivtsi.

Have considered stopping in Lviv before heading back to Kiev where I hope to spend two or three days taking in the sights of that city before leaving the Ukraine. We thought of travelling by train for these trips as well.

Route suggestions would be great, although I have been told to avoid the really slow trains and want to travel first class.

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome.

Larysa

22 replies to this topic
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Proposed visit to Chernivtsi

Hi Larysa,

It's a pity. If there's any death record (either civil, or from the church), it's normally easy to determine which cemetery the person had been buried on.

Unless you succeed to find any records or further tips in the archives, I'm afraid you will only be left to visiting as many cemeteries as you can and asking them to check their records. This might be very time-consuming. And you will certainly need a local to help, as there’s nearly no chance that the cemeteries' officials speak any English.

I'm not sure how many cemeteries there are in Chernivtsi, and it’s impossible for me to help you from Kyiv with locating all Chernivtsi cemeteries; this is something a local would be way more helpful with.

But I've been to one, probably the largest, and a historic one. It's located on Zelena (Зелена) and Moskovskoi Olimpiady (Московської Олімпіади) Streets, and its substantial part is occupied by an old Jewish cemetery http://goo.gl/maps/41rMh

My city map shows there's another one on Chervonoarmiyska (Червоноармійська) Street, off the city to the south.

And one more cemetery is in the north-west suburb, by Berehometska (Берегометська) Street, near Lozivska (Лозівська) Street http://goo.gl/maps/bzdbO

I’m afraid this is all I can do «virtually».

Edited: 5:37 am, November 04, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Proposed visit to Chernivtsi

Hi Cora,

Thank you so much for all your information. You have done so much to help me.

I had planned to engage the services of an English speaking guide or local - my agent is aware of my needs and I have been told it is possible.

Even though I can understand Ukrainian, read Cyrillic and speak the language a little, having a local accompany me to certain places, especially the archives is a necessity I think.

Lots to think about and plan.

Larysa

Reply to: Proposed visit to Chernivtsi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted