We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A couple of questions

Co. Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
367 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A couple of questions

Hi all

A couple of specific questions about Simferopol:

We are arriving from Odessa by train and staying in an apartment on Kirov Street (?). Best way to get from station to apartment?

Leaving from Simferopol airport to go to Kiev at 08.10 on a Sunday morning. How long would it take by taxi and any idea what the cost would be?

This might sound REALLY stupid but is the currency in Crimea still UAH? I ask because Crimea being an autonomous republic I didn't know whether it would still be UAH though I assume it is!

Mentioned in this post
Crimea
Crimea
Europe
Holy Trinity Convent
Churches & Cathedrals
Children's Park
Parks, Playgrounds
Scythian Neapolis
Observation Decks & Towers, Ancient Ruins, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Lviv, Ukraine
Level Contributor
595 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A couple of questions

Kirova prospect in Simferopol is about 2km SE from train station - can be reached afoot - along Lenina boulevard and Rozy Luksemburg prospect. All possible choises of transportation available - buses, mini-buses, trolleybuses. By taxi it'd take about 5 mins - not sure about Simferopol present-day prices - but believe it should be 20-50 UAH (about 2-5 euro) - depending of bargaining skills.

Yes - question about currency is stupid - it's UAH - and always will be - but exchanges can be found everywhere in Crimea - though most popular and accepted of foreign currencies are USD, EUR and RUB.

Mentioned in this post
Crimea
Crimea
Europe
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A couple of questions

Hi again, Kate :)

«Best» way can be different in each particular case for different travellers.

Walking is the cheapest, but not the most convenient for just-arrived tourists loaded with luggage. Taking a taxi is the most comfortable and fastest, but involves some bargaining hassle. Public transport is hassle-free, but since there are quite a few mini-buses you can take from the railway station to Kirova, you might get confused trying to find them.

I’d recommend you to stick to the taxi, keeping in mind that the distance is very short (you don’t mention which part of the very long Kirova Ave (?) your apt is in).

As for the estimated timing to the airport, at this early hour on Sunday morning it shouldn’t take more than 20 min, although much depends on the driver’s style.

July is top season for Crimea, so prices for all tourist-related services hike dramatically. I’m afraid I can not estimate how much it’s going to cost in summer to get to the airport, sorry.

The distance is less than 20km (est16-18); tariff in Crimea can vary from UAH 2 up to UAH 3.5 per km (a min of UAH 10-15 can be added), so anything starting from USD 10 (unreal itself) is possible.

Please, be advised that hryvnya (UAH) is the only legal method of payment on the territory of Ukraine for the domestically rendered goods and services. It is no surprise, however, to see few major foreign currencies (mainly US dollars and Russian roubles in Crimea) accepted in some touristy-related segments; most often this is the case with free-lancers.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Mentioned in this post
Crimea
Crimea
Europe
Ukraine
Ukraine
Europe
simferopol, crimea
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A couple of questions

As a native inhabitant of Simferopol I would not recommend to walk with suitcases from the train station, first KirovaStr. is rather far from train station on foot. the price for taxi depends of the place where you will pick up it. It is usually better not to hire the taxi direct on the train station, but a bit further from it. Keep in mind the distance by car is very short, it would cost appr. 40-50 grivnas.

Airport is 12 km from simferopol, to book cheap taxi to the airport in july better beforehand

4. Re: A couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, April 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Simferopol