We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ANY & ALL guidance to Dnepropetrovsk!?

Bentonville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
ANY & ALL guidance to Dnepropetrovsk!?

Have been to this amazing city only once, briefly and superficially.

I want to return in a couple of weeks for 10 days and request ANY seasoned guidance as to:

1. place to stay - modestly priced, but clean and central (hotel, apartment or bed & breakfast)

2. essential sights

3. special restaurants - uniquely authentic, personality, value? - whatever

4. take train or fly from Kiev?

I will not drive again on what they laughably call "highways" in Ukraine! The roadway is in actuality closely-spaced bomb craters.

The train is cheap and clean and scenic, but takes FOREVER. Is is smart to fly or resign oneself to the train? Or, are their fast, modern buses?

Again, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions?

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ANY & ALL guidance to Dnepropetrovsk!?

Hi Jay,

Not sure how "seasoned" my guidance could be - I mostly visit Dnepr in business, and my most recent visit was last year. But anyway.

I take it, you already looked through the reviews on TA?

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298045-Dnipropetrovs…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298045-c2-Dnipropetr…

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298045-c3-Dnipropetr…

I normally stay in Seven Eleven hotel in MOST Business centre. Might seem like a weird location, and perhaps not everyone's choice due to its specifics, but centrally located, and you are next to shopping malls with their restaurants (not special though, just okay for a bite).

If you wish, have a look at my old review of it (I was too lazy to write a return one) tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT Also have a look at feedback on booking.com http://www.booking.com/hotel/ua/seven-eleven.ru.html?sid=916bcda347439e2fc4a9839b67d5b12d;dcid=1

As for the sights, there are not too many of them in Dnepr in a "classic" understanding of what a sight is. And certainly not enough to keep you busy for 10 days, I should warn you. Dnepr is rather one of our business capitals than cultural/touristic. But you can make some side trips from there.

What was it that impressed you so much on your latest (brief) visit? What are your travel interests in general? Knowing this will help me to suggest you the best things to see/do.

Since this summer, it only takes slightly more than 5hrs to get from Kyiv to Dnepr by the so-called Intercity express trains (no sleepers, you only have seats there). Hope this isn't your idea of "forever" :)

You can find their time-tables (in English) here: http://tinyurl.com/cfl6efa (##166, 168). And the train tickets can be purchased on-line from UZ here http://booking.uz.gov.ua/en/

Edited: 5:15 pm, November 29, 2012
Bentonville...
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ANY & ALL guidance to Dnepropetrovsk!?

Thank you so much for your guidance! I read the links carefully and will do so more intently as my schedule gets more precise.

The Reikartz Hotel looks quite promising - good reviews and inexpensive.

Perhaps I can stay there the first few days until I can secure an apartment?

I have found that European-class apartments in prior trips to Klaipeda, Riga and Kiev suit my budget and personality just fine.

I am currently baffled at the sky-high plane fares? US Air and Lufthansa were fine for my recent trip to Kiev, but now only Aeroflot is anywhere near reasonable?

Regards,

Jay

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ANY & ALL guidance to Dnepropetrovsk!?

Hi Jay,

Sorry I can’t help you with Reikartz Dnepr – have never stayed there. But I’ve stayed in at least four different Reikartz hotels throughout Ukraine and have to tell that they are either hit or miss, i.e. there’s no single standard applied throughout the chain: some places were perfect, the others plain terrible. But, indeed, the rates displayed by Reikartz Dnepr seem quite appealing for the city centre hotels.

Manassas, Virginia
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: ANY & ALL guidance to Dnepropetrovsk!?

Dnepropetrovsk has an active nightlife. Many "disco"s in the area. "Opera" is the name of a disco. "Labyrinth" appears to a popular one with many venues inside. Club Rio, Club Jakson, and several more. Bora Bora is not a tourist place, so avoid that one.

As with all cities, nightclubs open and close.

- Bertik

Reply to: ANY & ALL guidance to Dnepropetrovsk!?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dnipropetrovsk