We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

Prague, Hlavni...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

Hello,

sorry for bothering You with still new and new questions about Uganda, but I want to have our trip secured, so I'm asking for a small advice. We will arrive to Uganda on Sunday in the afternoon. There will surely be some obstacles at the airport and moreover we will be paying for hired car at the airport too, so I'm afraid of going to Kampala at the same day, we don't want to stay stucked in the capital city after dusk. So we are thinking about staying in Entebbe. And I am solving one question - are there any banks in Entebbe? We will need to change our money. I know, there is one bank, but I am not sure, whether they have good exchange rates and whether they are opened on Sunday. What do you think? Can we count with changing of our money in Entebbe? And also, is there some bigger shop or supermarket in Entebbe? We will need to buy some supplies. We don't want to solve those things next day in Kampala, because we will have a long journey to Murchison falls on Monday.

Kampala
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

A lot of the hotels will change money for you, but the rates wont be as favorable as in the ForeX.

The Banks will be closed, but there is a Foreign Exchange beside Upland Supermarket (in Kitoro in Entebbe); its usually open on Sundays (depends what time you're arriving though, not too early and not too late). There are a couple of supermarkets in Kitoro; Upland and Pearl; both are open on Sundays - they are not too big but have a good selection.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

Hello

There are Forex in the Arrivals hall, am guessing they are open for that KLM flight at night. But in any case, you can safely withdraw money at the ATM machines, and buy a SIM card and get airtime - there's a little booth there now.

Townsend, Tennessee
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

We'll be arriving late Friday night and staying in Entebbe for a couple of days. We'll be exchanging large denominations of US dollars on Saturday morning. Sounds like the Forex gives the best exchange rates in Entebbe but not the one at the airport. Do you know who gives the best rate in Entebbe, and if so, do you know if they are open on Saturday? Thanks!!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

No, can't tell you which gives best rate, but you can negotiate with them. Asian-run are often good for that.

Yes definitely open on a Saturday.

Townsend, Tennessee
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

Thanks very much! Never heard of anyone negotiating over exchange rates, but good to know.

Barcelona
Level Contributor
43 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

We are just back and had REAL problems due to the date on our US dollars. NOBODY will exchange dollars that are dated before 2007 which is contrary to the advice given on trip advisor and the Brat guide books. It appears that there are no such restrictions in banks for sterling but hotels would not exchange for us any sterling or euros with dates before 2009. All my dollars were dated 2003 which I thought would be fine. So whilst we should have been comfortably off, we were really on a tight budget!

Townsend, Tennessee
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

Sorry to hear that you had such problems. Thanks to your comments, we will certainly insure that all of the dollars we plan to exchange are dated 2009 or greater. Our plan is only to exchange enought dollars for all small tipping (ie, tips of a dollar or two) and for inexpensive things like drinks and small trinkets. We then plan to use larger denomination dollars for all tips of $5 or more and for larger gift purchases and additional excursion expenses. We'll have denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100's for those expenses....since we won't be exchanging those denominations I'm hoping we won't face the issues you did. But, I still plan to insure all of those denominations are in good shape and dated NLT 2003 as I realize the locals there have trouble exchanging poor quality dollars dated before 2003. What do you think?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,084 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

Bill W, I think a recent recommendation is for currency dated 2006. If you can get 2009, all the better.

Townsend, Tennessee
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

Thanks very much! Will do.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Entebbe - banks and exchange rates

We are going to Uganda in mid-February. I'm glad to have found this forum, as I had no idea about the date of the US currency mattering. I will make sure to bring very new money in good condition. Just curious, though, why the restriction on dates?