We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

Secunderabad, India
Level Contributor
49 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

I was earlier planning a trip to Ssese for 2 nights after seeing Ndere Cultural program and a Kampala sightseeing...

having read how unsafe it is to swim in Ssese and lack of major landmarks in Kampala to sight see, now I am left with four days at Entebbe/ Kampala. We (5 families) intend spending this time either at Murchisson Falls or at Jinja...

Any suggestions....are welcome....

Kampala
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

Murchison Falls is much more better than Ssese if it comes to sight see,apart from seeing the falls there is a lot of wild like Giraffe, Lions, Antelope, Elephant, Uganda kob, Leopard, Buffaloes, Hartebeest, Oribis, Chimpanzees, and birds like the rare Shoebill and more of that is the boat ride which will bring you a lot of memories.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

Following my comments to you by PM, it does take a lot of effort to get to Ssese (3 hours by boat), and I would never go to Kampala the day after arriving and go back down to Entebbe again.

You would definitely get a lot more out of going to Murchison as stated above; and yes, if the others want to raft, that's a good plan too.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,958 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

I agree with the 2 posters.

Murchison falls is more rewarding

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
522 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

Please note. Murchison falls is a game park with stunning water falls and a boat ride to the Nile delta so i would recommend murchison or jinja. Jinja has got some adventure like white water rafting, bungee jumping, horse riding, quad biking and source off the Nile visit where you can see the Ghandi statue.

Secunderabad, India
Level Contributor
49 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

thanks everyone....so, me taking the plunge for Murchisson....sorry Ssese....

Secunderabad, India
Level Contributor
49 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

is there some report of recurrence of Sleeping Sickness and Bilirhiza at Ssese? how serious is it? or is it just a travel advisory???

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

I don't know about sleeping sickness, that is more likely in the north. Bilharzia is a 99.9% risk, both in the Lake AND in the River.

Here's a long thread about it - for your perusal. It's the slow moving water that's the biggest culprit, and all starts from infected people peeing in watercourses.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293840-i9254-k4…

Secunderabad, India
Level Contributor
49 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

Thank you shelly...

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

I would never be put off rafting by the way. Or going in a boat on the Lake. Everyone has to make up their own mind about how to manage it, but my advice is to enjoy the country, but be wise afterwards.

Secunderabad, India
Level Contributor
49 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ssese vs Murchisson Falls

if we go what precautions 2 take?

keep the kids away from water>

avoid exposure 2 stepping on snails/ shells?

no bare feet walking?