We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dusty

Redondo Beach, Ca.
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dusty

Van is under snow for 5 months a year and you feel that when you visit. Flying in shows a mantle of dust and dirt in the air. It is a farmers town, surrounded by sandstone and limestone, yet the Lake and environs are truly beautiful.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dusty

Hi transformedia: here's an earlier post of mine which gives some info on lake Van and Akdemar Island.

A few things about Van, I would stay at the Buyuk Urartu which is a good hotel in the center of Van. Very good rooms and service there.

Of course you want to see the sites: don't miss the statue of the famous Van cat. Also sites associated with Urartians, including the fortress. Don't miss the Tirsin pasture.

Of course you will go to Akdemar Island, the wonderful churches have just been restored. You get there by boat and don't forget to look for the monster in Lake Van, they say he's rather like the one in Loch Ness but I have never seen him in multiple trips.

Here's a helpful link: www.adiyamanli.org/vangolu.html and another: http://www.allaboutturkey.com/van.htm

You don't want to miss the mysterious city of Ani, truly a high point of any trip to the area. turkeytravelplanner.com/go/East/Kars/Ani.html

Happy Travel, LemonLady

2. Re: Dusty

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, September 02, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Van