We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

Hi,

Three of us have just booked up to stay in the NOA HOTELS Nergis Select (it is well reviewed & we have no anxiety regarding the hotel) in Marmaris, Turkey but unfortunately one of the girls has had firm warnings and horror stories from her parents and grandmother regarding how Turkish men react to English girls who are young & attractive (but of course our parents would say that!) even so... It has scared us a little! The grandmother has 'read' that Turkish men have been raping British girls in Turkey as their 'right'.

Even in a nightclub in Newcastle I was approached by two turkish men who were trying to buy me a drink... I politely declined and ignored them after they continued to pursue. I am just concerned that 'no' might not be enough to stop the harrassment.

I must state now I am in no way racist. I do not discriminate & mean NO offence by this post. All I am seeking is advice and hopefully reassurance...

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

I am 24 and I went to turkey 2 years ago with another female friend.

What you hear is correct, there are a number of turkish men that are a bit 'sleazy', but as long as you are firm with them and assertive you will be ok.

Also, make sure you are never left in a position where you are alone or vulnerable - but thats just common sense wherever you are really!

While some of the men are like this, it does not apply to all, we actually made some really good male friends out there and are going back this summer!

Have a great holiday :)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

Thank you so much for responding to my post!

We are all quite mature and have no intentions of going for male attention, just purely for a break and a good time with the girls. We have been away together for the past four years with no incidents so I think if we just do the same we should be okay.

Stay safe & have a great holiday too! :-)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
675 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

there are quite a few English men that are 'sleazy' too! You just need to keep your wits about you like you would anywhere.

UK
Level Contributor
2,618 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

These days I would try to remember the old Latin motto

Caret periculo qui etiam tutus cavet.

roughly keep eyes open caution always good.

Happy hols regmaiche

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

First of all your friend needs to tell her Grandmother that reading things in magazines like Take a Break doesn't mean it is true!

Turkish men may be a bit forward but they do not go round raping girls because they think it is their right, that is simply not true.

As long as you take care of yourselves as you would at home and act in a respectful manner you will get respect back from the majority of men in Turkey. Of course you will always get sleazy men wherever you are but you find them at home too.

Don't listen to what everyone tells you, Turkish men aren't so bad :)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

Thanks everyone!

I do love a good Take a Break lol! I have never been toTurkey before but I am so excited to experience it...

Happy Holidays!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

And by no means accept anybody to drive you to a certain place, even if you will be all 3 of of you. I guess you would not do it back home so keep you wits about the same way.

I have read an article in a local foreign expat newspaper about woman coming to Dalaman airport and leaving their brain in a locker only to pick it up as they return. That was very funny, be sure not to be one of them :-)

8. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 am, September 24, 2014
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

I have been to marmaris about 10 times now, and like the others are saying some can be really sleazy and give you the creeps but i think alot of it can be put down to how you react with them also, if your going to be flirty ect they might take wrong impression of you so best thing to do if your totally not intrested is dont flirt with them cause you will probs thing doing that they will think you like them.... talking from this happening to my friend, she was such a flirt and it was non stop all the time hassling as she was acting like she was interested and wouldnt leave her alone until 1 night she got a bit of a fright.

Also some of the guys might ask you do you wanna go bar street tonight say no and go yourselfs i have a turkish friend who is a family friend he told me that they ask you if you wanna go as they have no problems getting in when with other people but if go on there own they sometimes dont get in and to be honest they will want you to spend your money on them and god knows what ever at the end of the night..

dont let this put you of turkey cause you will love the place and ALOT of the people are so friendly and will look after you just be careful who you trust and how you act.

Have a good time :D

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Three 21-22year olds anxious about Turkish pest reviews.

p.s like marmregular says you can have the same problems with the lads here ;-)

Get answers to your questions about Marmaris