We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dalaman airport checking cases for food

staffordshire
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
dalaman airport checking cases for food

there was a forum on here regarding dalaman airport as they are opening cases and confiscating food in april and stopped a plane and taking biscuits choc extra of people we being going turkey for very long time and its first I heard of them doing this so anyone who has been recently can they tell me if its still happening please thanks

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

didnt happen when we flew into dalaman a fortnight ago but it did happen early season, wonder if they were bored due to not many flights flying in or if they were trying to put a warning out. matt

Chorley, United...
Level Contributor
797 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

I've been every month since March & not seen anyone checking suitcases but there is always that chance that they could do random searches.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9,263 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

Custom Officers at Dalaman Airport are more relaxed than UK Airports, most of the time not seen, but they are there and can stop anyone at anytime.

Alan :)

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
1,684 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

From leaving plane to boarding transfer took us half an hour,sweating buckets at Edinburgh on way back tho,was way over the fag and baccy limit,customs pulled the folk in front of us

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
edinburgh, scotland
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
4,694 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

Saw a post on a Facebook forum the other day where someone had arrived at Dalaman and had their cases searched, so it does still seem to be going on, although very random.

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

I arrived at Dalaman Airport on the 20th of May, I saw a Family having their cases checked, & as far as I could see, without actually looking over their shoulder. They had food stuff taken out. Do not know if it was confiscated, but from the look of it, It was.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

i took bits and pieces out with me wen i was there and had no problem.

Sheffield
Destination Expert
for Ovacik, Hisaronu
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

I suppose it all depends on who is on duty when you arrive at Dalaman, A bit like when you are home again. Its can be pot luck if you get stopped or not.

The Family I mentioned got stopped, & food stuff confiscated. I went through without any problems. Luck of the draw.!!!

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
ireland
Level Contributor
419 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

would they take your biscuits an juice away from you an the kids chocolate bars

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: dalaman airport checking cases for food

You can buy chocolate bars and juice in Turkey, so why bother taking loads of them in?

They have a scanner in the Customs at the exit to Arrivals in Dalaman, but only tend to use it in winter when there are very few international arrivals. They would be overwhelmed in summer months when the airport can be very busy.

I have had my baggage scanned in winter and they didn't bother about what we actually had in it (alcohol, sausages and bacon for our own consumption). I think that their main objection is to the people who bring over kilos of pork products that they then sell to restaurants (and boast about it on here).

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Get answers to your questions about Marmaris