We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marmaris and Dalyan

sunderland
Level Contributor
570 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Marmaris and Dalyan

Right here goes: We're of to marmaris at the end of august and i am wondering if it would be worth splitting the holiday between marmaris and dalyan. 10 days in marmaris and 7 days in dalyan. now my main concern is about dalyan we absolutely adore marmaris and turkey but its getting to the point of pricing itself out of our holiday budget so id really like to try somewhere different as this will probably be our last time to this lovely country. so as a marmaris lover has anyone been to dalyan and do you think it would be for us im asking on this forum and not the dalyan forum as i was hoping a marmaris lover like myself has been to both and could give me an unbiased answer.

i cant find a great deal of information on the town itself all i seem to get is a lot of turtle beach and boat pics/videos mudbaths etc.these don't interest me at all. is there enough of a resort there or do you think 7 days is too long? ive been to fethiye and found it extremely boring(its a working turkish town certainly not a resort)if you like that sort of place then great i had 2 teenagers with me who did not appreciate the place at all which probably spoiled my memories of it too tbh. Gumbet,(despised the place totally ruined by the amount of hassle we got and i thought i was immune to hassle after spending years going to marmaris. this place was on another level. so if anyones been to dalyan or has any advice to give or can point me in the direction of some good pics/info on the town itself i would appreciate it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

I am sorry this will be the last time in the country. I have been in Dalyan a few times and a lot of times in Marmaris. You are absolutely right about bloody fethiye! Many tourists doing same mistake. When you search for fethiye on internet its coming Oludeniz pictures (which is 1 hour away from fethiye). So for everybody, Fethiye and Oludeniz two different places! Do not think if you book in Fethiye you will see the view of Oludeniz!

Dalyan is a quite town by the river which is ending at one of the world`s greatest beach (iztuzu) nearby. You can find a lot of restaurants and bars around the area. I love the restaurants which is located over river water! You can eat while you watching the river streaming under you.And another thing I remember is there were a lot of trees and green around the river. You said you not interested mud bath and turtles. But you will love the beach! One side of the beach is river, other side is fantastic sea! Its pure sandy beach. I also loved the bars around the town (bars street like in bodrum or gumbet or marmaris but not sea side). They have their own atmosphere.There were no more than 15-20 bars . If you are not fan of beaches you will get boring in 3-4 days. And also dont forget you have to get on a minibus to go from town to beach if your hotels is not located near beach. So I suggest spend 3 days in Dalyan and 14 days in Marmaris. But if you like quiet atmospheres you can spend more days in Dalyan.

Enjoy!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

Hi Sunderlandturkeyfan,

We are huge Dalyan fans and love it because it is completely different to the bigger resorts like Marmaris - honestly, there is absolutely no comparison!

Like Fethiye, Dalyan is a working town so through the day tourists and locals alike go about their daily business and there are places around town catering to both. Dalyan is smaller, quieter and more laid back than any of the other towns mentioned although there are still a great selection of restaurants, shops and family friendly bars around the town catering to every taste (think lots of live music bars, people watching, chilling on beanbags looking across at the tombs, cocktail bars etc). There are no big hotels in Dalyan, no high rise buildings, no macdonalds/burger king etc and no hassle. We love the scenery and relaxed atmosphere in Dalyan as well as the amazing beach, beautiful lake and the fact that its such a good base for trips around the local area. I would definitely recommend you give Dalyan a try but, in my honest opinion, I think if you love Marmaris so much, Dalyan may be too quiet and traditional for you so maybe wiseway is right and a few days would be better!

Sel

Edited: 12:02 pm, April 26, 2013
Glasgow
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

Although we don't stay in Marmaris we visit it regularly from Icmeler and have stayed in Dalyan. We really liked Dalyan for the reasons given above and it is very different from Marmaris. You certainly won't find the buzz of activity you get in Marmaris, Dalyan is more low key. If you're a beach person you might find the journey to Turtle Beach a bit of a nuisance, 30-40 minutes on the water taxi. Dalyan is on the river and doesn't have a beach. To echo Sel, if you love Marmaris so much, you may find Dalyan a bit too quiet for your liking.

Edited: 12:23 pm, April 26, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

Hi Sel

Dalyan sounds absolutely lovely and looked gorgeous. I think it's time I came and discovered your heaven for myself. I viewed about ten minutes of the clip you put up on the Dalyan forum and that was certainly enough to interest and persuade me.

www.youtube.com/watch…

SunderlandTurkeyFan - As it's your last possible holiday to Turkey, you should perhaps spend most of your time in Marmaris as you enjoy it so much, but definitely set aside a few days for Dalyan to assuage your curiosity. I've often enjoyed, a number of places/resort's in one holiday, this gives you a good taster. Who knows, you may even decide to come back to Turkey and have a full holiday there next year!

Nil

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

WiseWay - Where did you stay when you visited Fethiye? How long were you there for?

I thought it was one of the nicest places I've ever been to, beautiful scenery, great restuarants and bars, lot's of shops, a good harbour and promenade with breathtaking views towards both the authentic Paspatur area and the gorgeous Karagozler. Also loved that it was a real working town, it simply made it all the more interesting not being just a resort with seasonal workers. This place was solid and had the friendliest locals I've come across. There simply wasn't much you would need and not find here.

It took me no more than 20 minutes to drive to Oludeniz, probably a 40 minute dolmus ride and a lovely drive with amazing views. Although very different, they were both as lovely and special in their own way. Also I never felt the need to see one whilst in the other. Why did you dislike it so much?

sunderland
Level Contributor
570 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

Thanks everyone we are gonna give dalyan a look but were probably gonna do a 14 days marmaris and spend the last 3 days chilling out in dalyan.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

hi SunderlandTurkeyfan,

I would not give up on Turkey as I am sure there are still plenty of places for you to enjoy..Kas, Kalkan, Bodrum, Side, Kemer, and the list could go on and on

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

Go for it Nil !!

Turkey is such a vast and diverse country with so many wonderful places to choose from, all with their own particular charms...we have been fortunate to visit lots of the lovely towns, villages and resorts around the aegean and Mediterranean coasts (big and small) but when it came to buying our own little 'place in the sun' it was only ever going to be Dalyan.

Sel

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

Thanks Sel

Agree with you as always. I'm very pleased that you found 'the place' that's perfect for you!! ;)

Nil

10. Re: Marmaris and Dalyan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Marmaris