We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson - Caunos Gulet Cruise - Marmaris to Fethiye

Tunbridge Wells
Level Contributor
24 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson - Caunos Gulet Cruise - Marmaris to Fethiye

We recently came back from a Thomson 7 night gulet cruise between Marmaris and Fethiye and had a wonderful relaxing trip even though it is definitely not '5' star luxury.

The gulets are rather basic with no air conditioning on board and very small ensuite cabins (our gulet the Aganda had 9 cabins) but we hardly spent anytime in the cabin.

It was very relaxing as we cruised from bay to bay round the coast. A worry was how 9 different couples would get on but although there was a wide age range (from couples in their 20's to couples in the 60's) everyone mixed together and go on well.

The captain and the other 3 crew members were very friendly and did everything thet could to make sure everyone had a great time even if they just wanted to chill out and do nothing during the voyage. The cook worked wonders preparing great food in a very small galley. It was simple food but very good quality.

Downsides - very small basic cabins which are not air conditioned - some decided to sleep on the sun deck under the stars.

The big dining table was quite crowded with 18 sitting together at meal times

You spend 4 of the 7 nights anchored in bays with only mooring in the harbours at Marmaris - Gocek - Fethiye although we also went off boat to Dalyan during another day.

Drinks - you only settle up at the end and do not get a receipt/chit when you order drinks so some people had a shock when they had a large bar bill at the end, especially as the drink prices were not prominently displayed.

If you want a great 'chill out' holiday doing very little and are willing to share with 8 couples you have never met then try this holiday. We enjoyed our trip so much that we would be quite happy to book another gulet cruise in the future.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
397 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson - Caunos Gulet Cruise - Marmaris to Fethiye

Liked reading your post. Interesting to hear about a different sort of Marmaris holiday. What type of food was served up? Only asking as would consider something like this in a few years time but I really hate fish and the smell akes me ill.

Tunbridge Wells
Level Contributor
24 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson - Caunos Gulet Cruise - Marmaris to Fethiye

Breakfast - typical Turkish with bread, cheese, tomato, cucumber and jam/honey

Lunch was usually a vegetarian dish with plenty of vegetables, salads and pastas. We only had meat on one lunchtime.

Evening - a main course of either beef, chicken or fish - no lamb. The fish was whole and had been baked so you had to remove the head and bones yourself. I think we had fish twice during the 7 nights. The chicken and beef dishes were excellent (as was the fish)

The cook did a great job and there were very few empty plates.

Newton Aycliffe...
Level Contributor
555 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson - Caunos Gulet Cruise - Marmaris to Fethiye

we@ve just booked this cruise, can you estaimate how much the drinks were? we are pretty big vodka drinkers!

Whitley Bay, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson - Caunos Gulet Cruise - Marmaris to Fethiye

Just been on cruise 20/09/2010. Spirits weren't cheap prob on par with or slightly cheaper than on shore. A 500ml can of Efes is £2.50, paid 6 lira for draught on shore put have seen it cheaper, cheap bottle of wine is £13. Ask the crew they will show you the bar prices no prob. Total bill for week was about £140 for two of use.

Would go on this cruise again no prob, had a great time

Edited: 4:23 am, October 08, 2010
Tunbridge Wells
Level Contributor
24 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson - Caunos Gulet Cruise - Marmaris to Fethiye

As the other poster said bottles of wine from £13-£17, Beer around £2.50 per bottle, soft drinks, bottled water and coffee I think were about £1.50 each. Neither of us were drinking shots of vodka so I cannot help you. Peoples bar bills on our cruise ranged from £60 per couple to £250+ for another couple who did buy a lot of drinks. Average bar bill per couple was £100-£150 and no one seem to complain that it was excessive or that they had been overcharged.

I hope this helps

Edited: 9:56 am, October 11, 2010
Newton Aycliffe...
Level Contributor
555 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson - Caunos Gulet Cruise - Marmaris to Fethiye

Thanks, that would be me with the £250 bill!

7. Re: Thomson - Caunos Gulet Cruise - Marmaris to Fethiye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 11, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Marmaris