We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Gocek to Cappadocia

Which Gocek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Gocek to Cappadocia

My husband and I are considering renting a car instead of flying from Gocek to Cappadocia. Is this a good idea? How are the roads between the two places? We think this will take about 9 hours. We will leave around 6am on a Saturday and hope to arrive in Cappadocia around two. Are there wonderful thing to see along the way?

Thanks so much for any help that you might offer!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,257 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Gocek to Cappadocia

vinomujeres, welcome to Turkey.

That is a fantastic idea. The roads are good and well signposted. Gas is is expensive so rent a diesel economy car that is stingy on gas. You need good road maps and the best one is hard to find "Turkey Euro Map by Geo Center". Here's a good online map by Turkish Highways Directorate: "kgm.gov.tr/Sayfalar/…Maps.aspx".

You can take the route Gocek-Kas-Antalya-Manavgat route (D-400) and then make a left turn to route D-695 thru Akseki-Seydisehir and with a slight dtour to enjoy Beysehir, and finally route 330 and 300 from Beysehir to Konya - Aksaray -Nevsehir and Goreme. The highlights would be the wonderful coastal route, Pahaselis ruins and beach near Tekirova, the cable car ascent to Mt. Tahtali at Tekirova, Aspendos, the Hans (Caravanserais of Central Anatolia), Beysehir and Beysehir Lake, the wonderful Konya Mevlana Museum, etc. You will be visitinng the famous Hans (Caravanserais) of Turkey on this route, "http://www.turkishhan.org/visiting.htm", and the main ones would be Alara Han, Kızıloren Han, Horozlu Han, Obruk Han, and Oresin Han. Perhaps you should give more than 9 hours for this trip.

good luck,

enigma...

Edited: 7:45 pm, July 02, 2012
The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Gocek to Cappadocia

I think you'd be lucky to do it in 9 hours, more like 11 or 12. You won't have much time for sightseeing along the way. When I did it I stopped at Egirdir for the night. Next time I'll probably stay at Beysehir since there's a new hotel there - Ali Bilir Hotel - tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g2276065-d227…

Edited: 2:20 am, July 03, 2012
Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
215 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Gocek to Cappadocia

If you really want to do it in a day, then as David says, you won't have time for sightseeing along the way, so for a start don't drive to Antalya along the coast road, but rather take the "yayla", or inland/mountain route, which is scenic and a lot shorter and quicker than the coast road.

4. Re: Driving from Gocek to Cappadocia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 05, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Gocek