We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hamam in Gocek

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hamam in Gocek

Be sure to have a Turkish Bath at the start of your holiday - it is great for exfoliating the skin which means that your suntan lasts longer and makes your skin lovely and soft, plus it is just such a good way to wind down...!

There is an excellent small "typical" hamam in Club Marina at the West end of Gocek bay. There is a pretty little ferry boat that provides a free service over that leaves from Skopea Marina. It basically leaves on the hour and returns on the half hour, from early morning through to about midnight. I remember that in the morning it leaves Gocek at 09:00 and then again at 11:00 hours (not at 10 am).

The hamam itself is only small. I went with my husband in September and it cost us 30 YTL each. You arrive and undress and put on plastic shoes and wrap a "sarong" (pestemal) around you - it is a bit skimpy at first, but once wet stretches and sort of clings to your body, - leaving your clothes in the locker and taking the key with you. You start off sitting in the small steam room - which gradually gets hotter and steamier - where you sweat and generally start to relax and loosen up - if too much you can go out to the main room and lie on the heated marble slab or take a cooling shower. After a while the attendant comes in and you lie on the marble slab while he begins to scrub you all over with a very strong and coarse merino wool mitten - horrendous to see all the dirt roll off you! After this he washes you with what I can only describe as a really sudsy pillowcase! It is really wonderful to feel the oily soapy bubbles dropping on your body and then he washes you, ending up with washing your hair and giving you a lovely head massage - getting rid of all your tension. This is then followed by a wonderful top to toe massage - all the time while you lie on the hot marble slab and just feel all your aches and pains melt away.

At the end you put on a dry pestemal and are wrapped in a towel with another on your head and then led out to the main reception where you sit and relax and drink tea for a while. It is so lovely here in this cool room - with cool breezes coming in from the windows opening on to the beautiful bay with the sound of all the birds singing in the trees behind you. You can choose to have an optional oil massage (at an extra cost) but I felt that I was already so relaxed that I couldn't take any more!

You then return to the changing room and dress again, a hair drier is supplied. We were in the steam room for something like just over an hour and a half - having taken the 11.00 ferry, and then returning on the 2.30 boat (after having a refreshing beer on the terrace of the Bay Restaurant - a delightful peaceful setting, very romantic right on the water's edge and reputed to do very good food). You are left feeling absolutely squeeky clean and so relaxed... Excellent value for about £12 each and a great start to your holiday!

Alternatively there is a steam bath in the Gocek Lycia Hotel which I think is more of a "spa" facility (never tried it as I like the Club Marina Hamam), and you can also get a massage at Osman's barber shop in the street towards the Skopea Marina end - never tried that either (although Shakira reportedly did when she was in town last year!), but my husband enjoys having his shave there (which includes having his head massaged, eyebrows clipped and hairs burned out of his ears by lit candle!)

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hamam in Gocek

Hi Attagul,

Great post :)) Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us !!! sounds like you had a terrific time and a goooood srub down !! he he..believe it or not I have lived here for over 10 years now and have NEVER been to a haman...I think it is time for me to experieince this for myself !!

CanMom

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hamam in Gocek

Go for it CanMom - it is a wonderful experience! I am not a "high maintenance" woman in any way (I mean I've never had a manicure, had my first pedicure last year and only facemask a couple of years before!) The first massage I ever had was a few years back when we went to Cemberlitas Hamam in Istanbul. There (at that time at least with only Turkish women present) the experience was really magical - lying on this hot slab in a steamy room (both actually hotter than in Gocek!) looking at the light come in through the stars cut in the dome and percolate through the steam... You really do come out feeling squeeky clean and totally relaxed and kindof exhausted at the same time...! We did have another one once up your way - in Finike I think - a more modern building, but I think they also had a "splash pool" at the end!

Halifax Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hamam in Gocek

It just has to be done, a holiday in Turkey just wouldnt be a holiday without a Turkish bath.

Staffs, England
Level Contributor
322 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hamam in Gocek

Thanks for this Attagul.

I have just booked a small hotel for a one night stay prior to a week's gulet holiday leaving from Gocek and I thought to myself 'must find out if there is a hamam/turkish bath nearby' - as my companions will be arriving early afternoon from their overnight in Dalaman. And here it is, the answer to my question without even having to ask it!

I had seen there was turkish/bath steam room at that hotel/spa but would much prefer the traditional one.

Can I just ask - when I've been before we have simply worn bikinis/swimsuits - only the guys doing the scrubbing/soaping have worn the pestemal. Can you enlighten me - are you totally naked under this thing - is it okay to just wear swimwear?

Another quick ask - should I presume that the ferry leaves at 9am and then 11am? We are aiming for a 2pm departure from Gocek, or thereabouts so going by your timetable I would need to get the 9am.

No worries if you don't know as it might change from season to season. I will have to ask at my hotel anyway so I can find where the ferry leaves from.

Staffs, England
Level Contributor
322 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hamam in Gocek

Actually I could always go late afternoon/evening when I arrive rather than the next morning, then I know I won't be late!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hamam in Gocek

Hi SandCStaffs -

first re ferry times - I see that we went on the 11.00 ferry and returned on the 2.30 - but I imagine you could be finished and back out for the 1.30 ferry - depends on how long you sit sipping tea and don't have the beer afterwards! (Also we did not have the extra oil massage -which would mean it would all take longer. Probably would be best to go on the 9.00 am - or indeed the evening before.

The little ferry boat is easy to find - there are 3 piers in Gocek bay, and it is the first one to the left looking from the sea. So it is right in front of Can Restaurant - where there is a little stream that comes out into the sea at that point. If you go to the Unlu Hotel site they have a link to the google map where you will see it clearly.

I have always gone to the hamam naked under the pestemal -but then I have always been with my husband. I did think last time that maybe in the future I would wear pants or a bikini bottom under the pestemal. Probably best if you are doing it on your own too. (Hang on -I have just realised I am assuming you are a female! If you're not, then as a man I think you should just wear the pestemal and no swimwear.)

Have a great holiday - and I am very envious of your gulet trip - I just love those lovely lazy days at sea!

Staffs, England
Level Contributor
322 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hamam in Gocek

Thanks for your info. I have been to Gocek before - we departed on a gulet trip from there in 2006 but we basically just had enough time for a look around, some lunch and a quick drink. It's the only chance I'm going to get for a turkish bath and it's a must for me now (strange because I'm not a fan of going to spas or having treatments and stuff).

I was asked if I was interested in joining a group for a private charter for a week and I've leapt at the chance - just try and stop me! ;-)

Oh, yes I am female by the way. I will feel better in bikini. Actually you've got me thinking now, I've always been to the hamam in a group before. I'm sure it will be fine won't it? The turkish people are so respectful I shouldn't presume they would be any different in a hamam.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hamam in Gocek

Hi SandCStaffs,

I realised I didn´t reply properly to your question before (its difficult when you lose the post as you reply!) but from last year´s info, there definitely was no 10.00 am ferry -just at 9 and then 11. I have always assumed the 9.00 is for people who have to get over to the marina to work, and then there is no need until later in the day - and the ferry keep going until midnight or so I think.

Funny - like you I am not a "spa type" at all -but love a good Turkish bath! And I am sure you will have no problem as a female on your own. What I said about wearing pants was just something that I felt after going last year -the Gocek hamam is only small (just the one steam room and the slab is only large enough I imagine for a maximum of 2 people to be massaged at one time) and the attendants are male - and it was actually out of respect for them that I thought I ought to wear something under the pestemal!

I have come across some comments about "inappropriate" behaviour -but I do think maybe in some places this is sometimes brought upon by the behaviour of the tourist clientele, and I cannot imagine anything of this sort going on in the Gocek hamam. In fact I was thinking about the experience since my previous reply to you, and was thinking how it is almost like a "mystical" experience -the attendants just go about their business with care and respect. They hardly speak English, but just indicate what you are to do next. So they do not chatter - and sometimes intone quietly soft songs.

I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy the experience -and be squeeky clean and ready for that hard work sunbathing at sea!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hamam in Gocek

Hi SandCStaffs,

I realised I didn´t reply properly to your question before (its difficult when you lose the post as you reply!) but from last year´s info, there definitely was no 10.00 am ferry -just at 9 and then 11. I have always assumed the 9.00 is for people who have to get over to the marina to work, and then there is no need until later in the day - and the ferry keep going until midnight or so I think.

Funny - like you I am not a "spa type" at all -but love a good Turkish bath! And I am sure you will have no problem as a female on your own. What I said about wearing pants was just something that I felt after going last year -the Gocek hamam is only small (just the one steam room and the slab is only large enough I imagine for a maximum of 2 people to be massaged at one time) and the attendants are male - and it was actually out of respect for them that I thought I ought to wear something under the pestemal!

I have come across some comments about "inappropriate" behaviour -but I do think maybe in some places this is sometimes brought upon by the behaviour of the tourist clientele, and I cannot imagine anything of this sort going on in the Gocek hamam. In fact I was thinking about the experience since my previous reply to you, and was thinking how it is almost like a "mystical" experience -the attendants just go about their business with care and respect. They hardly speak English, but just indicate what you are to do next. So they do not chatter - and sometimes intone quietly soft songs.

I am sure you will thoroughly enjoy the experience -and be squeeky clean and ready for that hard work sunbathing at sea!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hamam in Gocek

sorry for duplicate replies - connection problems!

Get answers to your questions about Gocek
Recent Conversations