We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

birmingham
Level Contributor
53 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

Have a dilemma we arespending 9 days in various places and have 6 nights left which I decided on Gocek as it looked nice cosmopolitan resort now not so sure read a review its ok for one day not 6!!

So i am looking at Fethiye , Olydeniez

,I like Kalkan Yalicavack Alacati, where we have been before

No big hotel resorts or all inclusive small low rise hotels , nice upmarket restaurants, don't mind late bars as long as not too loud no Brits abroad gangs ! anyone help we are there August

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

Well whoever said Gocek is nice for one day is very wrong, in my opinion! Gocek is absolutely gorgeous! Especially if you like somewhere "cosmopolitan" with a truly international clientele, certainly free of Brits (or any other nationalities!) abroad gangs, and some delicious food with good service in lovely restaurants along the front - in fact add it the "no big or All Inclusive hotels" and you have described Gocek to a T. Comparable (but IMHO far nicer!) to Kalkan or Yalikavak - I have yet to get to Alacati! Some lovely shops, plenty of supermarkets, a couple of nice bars (sometimes with live music) and a very friendly wine bar. There is no beach - unless you stay at the D-Marin Hotel; but you can take the little taxi boat over to Gocek Island that has a lovely little beach. if you hire a car you can easily visit Fethiye and Olu Deniz - Fethiye is about 40 minute drive along a relatively new, two lane scenic road.

birmingham
Level Contributor
53 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

Your a star that has kept me to plan A thanks a million To be honest I don't think I would of liked Olydeniez or Fethiye only for a day .There looks a nice place to eat The White Dolphin is this worth a trip ?

Thank you so much just deciding now between Puruva ,Efe or Arion

Thanks so much X

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

Fethiye is a wonderful place to stay with so much to see and do, a great place to tour around from. I would not discount it if I where you. From Fethiye you can have a day trip to Oludeniz.

We have a place in Calis, the Beach Resort of Fethiye and find a lot to do. We have visited Gocek, but I am sorry to day it's an afternoon trip for us, but, hey all people are different and you may love it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

Hi Yvon - I haven't stayed at any of these hotels. The Efe Hotel is the one that has been going longest, the other 2 being relatively new arrivals. I have met 2 couples who have stayed at the Pruva Hotel on different occasions and both rated it - it is small, family run, and passing it I can see it has a nice garden and pool area. It is also very central - as is the Efe (as in close to the main village and sea). The Arion is at the back of the village - reading the reviews people talk about how you can borrow bikes to get to the centre - which makes me think it would be a good walk away!

If you are into more "luxury" there are a lot of private villas for rent in Gocek - most of these are in the hills the other side of the main E - W highway - but have magnificent views!! However they are even more of a hike into town - so a hire car could be worthwhile, or else you can walk in and taxi back at night.

White Dolphin - I think now called Beyaz Yunus (or maybe that is vice versa!!) - I really cant say anything about this - I know that it (or something else run by the same people - sorry don't quote me!) was well known as having superb food - but then it seemed to be closed or something. But I might be talking about somewhere totally different! I see it is offered by Exclusive Escapes (they always have really class places) but I wouldn't know if you can just turn up for lunch. Post on the Olu Deniz forum and see if anyone can give you any better information.

I have friends who have waxed lyrical about a beautiful place on şovalye adası (Chevalier Island) off Fethiye with lovely food - but I am sorry I do not know the name. Again, maybe ask on the Fethiye forum - I believe they will take you over by speed boat from Fethiye!

And Calis - well I know FJ is a big fan - but horses for courses!

Edited: 7:46 pm, June 12, 2014
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

Attagul, this is the Fethiye Forum?

We went out to the Ada Restaurant on Sovalye Island this week. A boat picked us up at Calis Beach near the Sat Restaurant and we travelled out, took about 8 minutes. Fabulous views of the twelve islands out there on one side and of Calis and Fetbiye on the other. We had an anniversary meal and they even made us a cake.

Food was lovely. We will definitely be back. It would be a long way to travel for an evening meal from Gocek.

I would advise staying in Fethiye or in the area around Fethiye as there is more to do. We like Gocek for a visit but would find it too quiet for a longer stay... As Attagul says horses for courses,, you may find a small quieter place just what you want...enjoy your holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,879 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

Maybe you've never been in Gocek at night FJ - as you said, a bit of a drive to go for dinner from Calis. But at night when everyone is in from their yachts, and the people come down from their villas in the hills, the tables at the numerous restaurants along the front fill up and the atmosphere is lovely. Certainly no karaoke or sing along bars, but you certainly will be able to find restaurants showing the football (but there again, where won't you - but with all the nationalities that visit, there will be many people wanting to support their national teams).

And sorry if you feel I have encroached on the Fethiye forum - I was just replying to the OP who was asking about Gocek or other places to stay.

Edited: 5:45 am, June 13, 2014
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,004 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

Not at all Attagul, I was referring to your comment in post 4 when you advised the poster to ask on the Fethiye Forum, that is why I said this is the Fethiye Forum, sorry if you mistook what I wrote.

I am sure the evenings are great in Gocek. I would also say there are many places with a great atmosphere in the evenings. Fethiye is one. Lots of people coming off the yachts there and great nights out in the seafront restaurants, no loud music or karaoke there either.

We were in the Yacht Class with FF this week (this is where Daniel Craig stayed when filmed Skyfall on Calis Beach). It has a direct jetty to the Yachts for the people to come and eat. Very chilled out atmosphere and definitely no T.V.

Seem we both know some lovely places with good atmosphere. May give Gocek a go for an evening meal sometime.

8. Re: Fethiye ,Olydeniez or Gocek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye